Small doubles wing for single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In an interesting twist, I have a Tec40 student next week who has been using the halcyon 40 for diving with a single tank. They will be using the same bcd for backmount doubles.

Apparently he has no concerns using that wing for a single tank. I became curious and looked it up on the halcyon website. They had this to say:

“Two different lift capacities allow easy pairing with small doubles or large, heavy steel tanks.”

The wording is a bit ambiguous.

They told me it's safe but would taco and be difficult to control. I wonder if the single tank eclipse is the one they mean.

They told me it's safe but would taco and be difficult to control. I wonder if the single tank eclipse is the one they mean.

Quite possible. That is even more interesting that halcyon has a single tank bcd with 40 pound lift. Must be for drysuit diving. Some of the now discontinued Bare jackets had somewhere around 45-50 lbs of lift. They were designed for that purpose. The zeagle rangers have 44 pounds of lift.

Quite possible. That is even more interesting that halcyon has a single tank bcd with 40 pound lift. Must be for drysuit diving. Some of the now discontinued Bare jackets had somewhere around 45-50 lbs of lift. They were designed for that purpose. The zeagle rangers have 44 pounds of lift.

Exactly what it's for. Steel tank and the undergarments for 31 degree water temp is a bit of lead if using an AL tank which some do.....

The other thing is maybe they are thinking of the super wide steel tanks.

I have a 40 pound evolve wing. Last minute trip to warm water. Can I use the 40 pound with a single steel 100?
YES, you certainly can. It may not be ideal, but you can use it easily, and you won't really notice the 'taco'.

Is it the 'best' wing - probably not. I have used larger wings (i.e. the older Dive Rite Rec wings) for single steel cylinders, and had very enjoyable dives.

Exactly what it's for. Steel tank and the undergarments for 31 degree water temp is a bit of lead if using an AL tank which some do.....

The other thing is maybe they are thinking of the super wide steel tanks.

I used that 40lb single tank wing for four years. Drysuit diving that required a lot of lead, even with a steel tank? Yep. Worked great.

I used that 40lb single tank wing for four years. Drysuit diving that required a lot of lead, even with a steel tank? Yep. Worked great.
I have a 40lb Oxycheq Mach 5 wing.
Does that count for this discussion, or is it too skinny?

Back
Top Bottom