Magnetic octopus/hose holder - destroyed in 4 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mako24

Registered
Reaction score
Hello divers,

I bought one Tecnomar Magnetic Octopus Holder. I used it 4 days, 5 dives... and it totally disintegrated...is this normal? Any got similar experience? What caused this? Do you know if any brands doing these are better than others? I really liked the practical use of these but what the hell?! They need to be able to withstand some decen time...

l2r6gV.jpg

magnets are sexy but wreak havoc on compass navigation.

before i ditched magnets, it took me about 20 minutes on one of my dives to figure out why i kept swimming in circles. yeah, not very bright.

I’ve had one for several years with no issues. Not sure if it’s the same brand. It has worked well for me; holds when it should, releases when necessary, and easy to reattach on the fly, er, swim.

Go for a bolt snap and forget about the magnetic holder. Anything that can be magnetized tend to rust. Magnets and salt water don't mix very well. Just my two cents.

Roland

Welcome to Chinese tat. Bought for nothing, sold for a lot more. Still tat.

As you're a single-tank diver using "recreational" kit (might be a massive assumption on my part, please excuse me if that's not the case)...

The alternate source could be clipped off using a bolt snap to a chest D-ring. This keeps it in place and won't fall away. However, should someone grab it off of you, if it's tied on, then it will be messy. To stop this what you can do is to use an O-ring (e.g. an HP O-ring, which lie around on the ground!) and use that as a break point.

If you go to donate (i.e. give) the regulator to someone, you just unclip it and hand it over. If someone grabs it (desparate for air to breathe) or grabs your regulator out of your mouth and you're now desparate to breathe, you just pull hard on the regulator and the O-ring breaks.

The other alternative (which is much much much much better) is to use a longhose to breathe from (which you donate or they take from your mouth) and a short hose bungeed in a necklace below your chin (which you scoop up and breathe from if the longhose has gone).

Same experience - maybe sensibly more than 4 days .. it took six or seven !
Then my buddy bought a similar but mechanical (non magnetic) one:
l-Durable-Anti-rust-Plated-Aluminum-Regulator-Octopus-Hose-Holder-Retainer-Clip-for-Scuba-Diving.jpg

Hello divers,

I bought one Tecnomar Magnetic Octopus Holder. I used it 4 days, 5 dives... and it totally disintegrated...is this normal? Any got similar experience? What caused this? Do you know if any brands doing these are better than others? I really liked the practical use of these but what the hell?! They need to be able to withstand some decen time...

View attachment 652461
I’ve been using a magnet to keep the octopus in place for over 10 years (900+ dives), still on the original, but do have a spare.

I used a magnetic one (I think it was a no name one) for few months maybe 50 dives, including a trip to Indonesia.
Magnet had not problem and I liked the whole thing but my hose was getting a bend that I didn't like by the weight of the second stage. I tried to move the holder a bit higher (closer to the second stage) to decrease the tension and tada the threads in the hole where the screws were secured were destroyed (plastic was too soft to hold the screws).
Soon afterwards I moved to long hose/primary donate/secondary under the chin setup hence I haven't needed such holders since then

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom