Box for save a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Home Depot toolbox for me, with a seal that keeps water out but isn't "waterproof" per se. But then I have it for shore diving so it lives in my truck.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3EWfWxaxyaiGbC1EPqmcU5xDKxfi3fFGOwg&usqp=CAU.jpg

I use a scuba mask box, tools in separate case but now I find it is not enough. I either have to get a bigger box of remove more items and review contents

Agreed. I actually have two mask boxes, one for the larger items (silicon lube, mouth pieces, and other odds and ends), and a second for my spare torches, batteries, and tank beacons. That is in addition to a small-parts organizer that has bolt snaps, spare cave line, multitool, spools, o-rings, and all other sorts of small bits n pieces.

Eventually, I would like to roll the items from the first-mentioned mask box into a lower profile box, but it seems to work ok for now....

I use a US military ammo can of the below size.
ammo can.jpeg

It can easily accommodate all the tools and metal hardware (spare D rings, weight stops, rebreather calibration kit etc) and I just use 3 small plastic organizers (that also fit in the ammo can) for more fragile stuff and o-rings. I have been using it for 15 years and I would never switch to other tool box. I got some for my cave diving buddies and they all love it as well. Another good thing is that it has a rubber gasket on the lid that makes it waterproof, so don't have to worry about water splashing on the boat or rain. You can get those online very cheap or if you have a buddy in the military might be even for free. If you don't like the green color, just spend another 3 bucks on a spray paint to turn it whatever color you like.

VR

Roland

I use a US military ammo can of the below size.View attachment 652964

It can easily accommodate all the tools and metal hardware (spare D rings, weight stops, rebreather calibration kit etc) and I just use 3 small plastic organizers (that also fit in the ammo can) for more fragile stuff and o-rings. I have been using it for 15 years and I would never switch to other tool box. I got some for my cave diving buddies and they all love it as well. Another good thing is that it has a rubber gasket on the lid that makes it waterproof, so don't have to worry about water splashing on the boat or rain. You can get those online very cheap or if you have a buddy in the military might be even for free. If you don't like the green color, just spend another 3 bucks on a spray paint to turn it whatever color you like.

VR

Roland

It may work well in freshwater but I suspect saltwater would render it a rusty, useless mess in pretty short order.

The Plano Marine box I use is similar to a military ammo case although a bit smaller. The benefit is it holds up well to saltwater marine environments.

Two.

Primary is a Pelican 1170 box. Holds the regulars. Tools, O-rings, cable ties, regulator hose with BC adaptor installed (one hose saves both regulator or BC hose), spools, mouth piece, etc. About the size of an old school lunchbox. Typically packed so tight it doesn't even rattle. No foam, it just wastes room. It gets a pretty hard life. Nice rounded corners (ammo cans are sharp corners and rust). It has saved dives half way around the world and back.

An old mask box holds the spare seals, seal tools, dry gloves, liners. My drysuit save a dive kit, not brought out when diving wet.
There is also the bigger save-a-trip box. Gauges on hoses, regulators, computer, etc. Only brought on multi-day trips. Typically not even brought onto the boat (unless an overnighter on the boat). It is more of a tote. When the problems are too great to save the dive or the day, but you can still save the trip.

Back
Top Bottom