Traveling with Drysuit (Air travel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've pointed these out before but if damage is what you're worried about Samsonite hard shell zipperless suitcases are hard to beat. Think of them as an ultralight Pelican case. I've got a fleet of these now, some cost me as little as $100 (every once and a while they come up on Amazon as a Warehouse special with a little box damage or possible scuff) but typically in the $200-300 range depending on colour and model (two versions, the F'Lite and S'Cure).

Samsonite Flite GT.jpeg Samsonite Scure.jpg

I carry on anything not easily sourced at my destination. For me that means my drysuit is in my carry-on. I just fold it up and pack around it, no special bag or prep.
Location dependent. ISTM that the carry-on allowance is significantly larger on the west side of the pond than it is on the east side. We can bring one item, max 55 x 40 x 20cm, max 10kg, plus one "personal item" (typically, a handbag/purse). I have enough issues bringing my camera gear in my carryon and have occasionally had to put the UW housing in checked luggage. Drysuit? Fuggetaboutit.

Location dependent. ISTM that the carry-on allowance is significantly larger on the west side of the pond than it is on the east side. We can bring one item, max 55 x 40 x 20cm, max 10kg, plus one "personal item" (typically, a handbag/purse). I have enough issues bringing my camera gear in my carryon and have occasionally had to put the UW housing in checked luggage. Drysuit? Fuggetaboutit.

Agreed. My post above from a few years ago was in relation to a Red Sea trip. My US-based airline's limits would have allowed me to take the drysuit in carry-on from the US to Europe, but the limits imposed by our European budget airline on our connecting flight to Egypt were far stricter. They measured and weighed the carry-ons. So the drysuit went in checked baggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom