My Equalization solved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have struggled with equalization problems for years. I attempted to learn many different types of techniques. My problems forced me to make numerous attempts to descend, always successful but with pain and stress. I would like to share my discovery of a very simple technique that I have found to be almost 100 percent effective for me. I apologize if this specific process has been previously posted. I enter vertical, as soon as my ears are under I do a very gentle Valsalva. Very light pressure, just enough to feel the tubes open. The key, for me , is not releasing the Valsalva. Maintain that gentle pressure for approximately 10 feet. As I approach 10 meters/33 feet I do it again. From 25-35 feet I maintain a constant light pressure. This for me has been a miracle. As I achieve deeper depth, I often equalize just by swallowing, a first for me

I find that something like this is helpful for me. my right ear will clear very easily, but the left is always a bit tougher. By "preloading" my ears as I submerge, I have a much easier time. Like lots of peeps here always say.... Early and often.

I have struggled with equalization problems for years. I attempted to learn many different types of techniques. My problems forced me to make numerous attempts to descend, always successful but with pain and stress. I would like to share my discovery of a very simple technique that I have found to be almost 100 percent effective for me. I apologize if this specific process has been previously posted. I enter vertical, as soon as my ears are under I do a very gentle Valsalva. Very light pressure, just enough to feel the tubes open. The key, for me , is not releasing the Valsalva. Maintain that gentle pressure for approximately 10 feet. As I approach 10 meters/33 feet I do it again. From 25-35 feet I maintain a constant light pressure. This for me has been a miracle. As I achieve deeper depth, I often equalize just by swallowing, a first for me

@Luca Brasi thanks for sharing this! If you're not already doing so, I recommend being mindful of your breath when descending while holding the Valsalva, especially at shallow depths. If you are in large seas, the rapidly changing depth as waves pass over you could lead to pulmonary barotrauma if you have a lungful of air and are holding it.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks DDM , I try to release small amounts of air either from my mouth or nose . I will certainly keep this in mind as I attempt to master this technique

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom