Diving opportunities for new(ish) divers in NC in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fast351

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are watching the wind blow like mad here in Key West this week. Supposed to go on several dives but all are cancelled. Serves me right for buying a new underwater camera...

Anyway, I am going to visit my brother in NC this summer. He's in Pamlico county. I know there are a couple places that you can dive out of from the looks of it, including Hatteras, Manteo, and Morehead City.

For a couple of open water certified divers with 25 or so dives, what do you guys recommend? Would need BCD/regs/tanks, have masks/wetsuits.

Thanks!

There are a lot of operations in the area. Depending on how far you want to travel to dive, and how many people you want to dive with. Instagator is out of swansboro, mutiny 2 is out of morehead city and both of those are 6 packs. There are also bigger boats like discovery out of beaufort and olympus out of morehead city. Also there is a dive shop in pamlico (pamlico divers) that runs a charter boat as well.

How long does it take to get to the dive sites?

The shallower inshore wrecks about 45 minutes or an hour, the deeper wrecks depend on where you are setting out from and what wreck. I usually say about 2.5 hours boat ride for deep wrecks

Thanks. Re the 2.5 hour boat ride, is that one-way or round-trip? Thanks.

Thanks. Re the 2.5 hour boat ride, is that one-way or round-trip? Thanks.

@Kevin W. Blaylock would know more than me, but we were quoted 2 hrs one way to get offshore, maybe a little more depending.

My wife and I are watching the wind blow like mad here in Key West this week. Supposed to go on several dives but all are cancelled. Serves me right for buying a new underwater camera...

Anyway, I am going to visit my brother in NC this summer. He's in Pamlico county. I know there are a couple places that you can dive out of from the looks of it, including Hatteras, Manteo, and Morehead City.

For a couple of open water certified divers with 25 or so dives, what do you guys recommend? Would need BCD/regs/tanks, have masks/wetsuits.

Thanks!

I went with @Cindy Norris Garb on the Instigator and had a great time (inshore only, we couldn't get offshore that day with the weather). She'll leave you alone or dive with you if you like. I felt like she was 100% willing to cater to my wife who had the least experience on the boat.

My wife didn't dive and I really enjoyed the "no hand holding if you don't want it". The wrecks were very easy (that day), great viz, mild current. I plan to take my soon to be freshly cert son down there later this year.

Good luck!

For the deeper offshore sites, 2.5 hours could be a one-way trip. A lot of the sites are a little closer, but 1.5 hours or more each way is common.

To the OP, July is a great time to dive NC. There's always the chance of getting blown out, but weather conditions tend to be more favorable in July than many other times of the year.

NC has great diving check out Olympus in Morehead city you want to be nitrox cert. for the offshore days most the time inside 30 miles boats run around 20 kt but they will push it on days weather is moving in... deep wrecks may have moderate current vis it normally great 30 ft + some time around 80-100ft depending on current and previous weather during that week .... I’m comfortable in a 3 mm wet suit typically from mid March on through the summer .. tons of marine life between the sand tiger, grouper sea bass sharks lobsters and lionfish most wrecks are swarming with bait and marine life including various corals ... several wrecks may be penetrated and the inshore dives typically 60-80 ft can have far less current making a relaxing second dive conditions permitted. Most of the second dives are fairly close to shore but the 1.5 hr boat ride is rather relaxing and is broke up to around 45 min rides in which you can snack relax and rehydrate during your surface intervals, you really get to enjoy yourself... top deck with beanbag chairs for lounging or internal galley to Reside out of the weather.. very respectful and responsible crew members and very informative on the predive conditions and wreck descriptions . Some wrecks are scoured out near the bow and stern and megladon teeth have been found also spear fishing friendly ...highly recommend NC diving and Olympus diving center

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom