What equipment to own vs to rent

Is it worth owning (vs renting) for an occasional recreational diver? (Check for yes)

• Mask/fins

Votes: 153 98.1%
  • BCD

Votes: 96 61.5%
  • Regualtor Set

Votes: 101 64.7%
  • Basic Wetsuit

Votes: 123 78.8%
  • Collection of different thickness wetsuits

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Dive light

Votes: 87 55.8%
  • Weights

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Tank

Votes: 12 7.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riceowls

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As a newly certified AOW, I am now considering starting to get my own equipment kit. I am a recreational diver and perhaps will remain one in the near future. Expect to do a few trips a year, perhaps a couple of weekend getaways to Caribean and one long trip a year. Expect mostly tropical...

I got my mask and snorkel, booties, and fins for a while already. The latter can perhaps be upgraded at some point but work for now. Bought a second-hand Cressi Leonardo computer. I am shopping for a 3mm jumpsuit. All these seem worth it by cost/rent ratio and perhaps will pay for themselves in a year. I am considering a used BCD as I would love the integrated weight system and added comfort of a higher-end vest...

Now when it comes to regulators, I am puzzled - seems like between the large initial investment cost, annual maintenance costs, risks of buying used - it seems very little reason for a beginner diver to own. Looking at the rental costs between $5-10 in most locations it is unlikely to ever pay for itself for me. But are there advanced features that are not available on a rental that a beginner like me would benefit from? Any other reasons to own one vs renting in place?

What about other things - weights, tanks - seems a hassle to travel with so I assume for those not diving locally, it's not something to ever consider buying. Dive torch/light? If only used for night diving perhaps renting is cheat enough... Anything else?

A strong argument for owning the BC is that you will learn what weights you need to put where to trim yourself out, i.e., so you have a balanced weight distribution. Instead of facing learning how to trim out a new BC on each trip. Being neither head nor tail heavy will make your diving much more enjoyable and relaxed. Plus it is your kit and you know how it is set up, so less to adjust to on each trip. You may find you prefer a back inflate or a lightweight backplate and wing.

If you prefer or come to prefer, a different hose routing than the default, then your own regs make that possible. You are unlikely to find that in a tropical rental fleet.
Also on wearing someone else's wetsuit, for fit or for all those other people in it.

Mask and fins are a given. With mask the most crucial of all, that it fit you well. Lights are small, pick up a tiny backup or interesting crack one when you can, eg. DGX Gears 300 Mini Light.
Definitely skip tanks and weights for a travel-only diver.

(ETA: Emphasis on the mini light being an inexpensive tiny backup for use in occasional cracks on daytime dives. Get a small bolt snap and clip it to your computer or compass bungee when in use. It is tiny.)

In regard to regulators, see what your shop may be selling used from their rental fleet vs. buying from an unknown seller... you might want to do the same with a BCD though chlorine from pools is not good on them...

A plus though is that they would be the one to stand by it....

yes, you want your own exposure protection (used is not my idea ever as someone may have peed in it...).

No need to own weights and tanks if you are a "travel diver"....

COVID has changed much in the dive industry, and some of the mandatory cleaning protocols have put an interesting light on renting stuff and minimizing the considerations we had prior (I personally still wouldn't rent....)...

Now when it comes to regulators, I am puzzled - seems like between the large initial investment cost, annual maintenance costs, risks of buying used - it seems very little reason for a beginner diver to own. Looking at the rental costs between $5-10 in most locations it is unlikely to ever pay for itself for me. But are there advanced features that are not available on a rental that a beginner like me would benefit from? Any other reasons to own one vs renting in place?
IMO, what you said makes sense for now. Any regulator being sold or rented today will work just fine for the dives you are likely to do for a while. If your diving grows with time, you can invest in a higher quality regulator when you know more about your options.

What about other things - weights, tanks - seems a hassle to travel with so I assume for those not diving locally, it's not something to ever consider buying. Dive torch/light? If only used for night diving perhaps renting is cheat enough... Anything else?
For the diving you describe, there is no need whatsoever for weights and tanks. I didn't by my own until my diving needs changed after years of diving in the manner you describe.

You do not need a great light for night diving; in fact, you really don't want a great light for night diving. You don't want to be blinding everyone and all the night life you are trying to observe in their natural environment. High quality dive lights are extremely expensive and are used for things like caves and wrecks. As expensive as they are, the costs are dropping rapidly, so you don't need to buy one of those suckers until you really need it.

Mask-required
Fins-optional if you have normal size feet and can rent them, though preferable if you own your own
Dive Light-hard to rent, useful for all diving and are cheap.
Wetsuit-if you are diving in similar conditions regularly, I think exposure protection for that area is worth the investment just to have it fit and not have anyone elses bio-marinade in there.
BCD-I voted for it because they can be highly personal and they're pretty inexpensive up front with almost 0 cost of ownership going forward.
Reg-I voted no because of the cost of ownership in service and relative ease of renting. I would certainly recommending owning your own regulators because it encourages you to dive locally, but if you only go on 2 trips a year I wouldn't look at buying them yet

Dive Light-hard to rent, useful for all diving and are cheap.
Yes, they are cheap, but I don't believe I have ever done a night dive with a dive operator or liveaboard who did not provide dive lights, either for rent or for free.

Yes, they are cheap, but I don't believe I have ever done a night dive with a dive operator or liveaboard who did not provide dive lights, either for rent or for free.

with the backup lights around now I use them around the house, in the truck, etc etc, and make a point to not buy anything but dive lights for flashlights. Multi-taskers, one of the few in diving

This is very personal, but I see the common issue that applies to the majority of the people is that at the beginning things are a bit weird.
The new diver is not 100% sure of how things should fit and just endures the crappy fit of the rental gear. So not only one is adapting to the underwater world but doing it while things are pushing/pulling or tight/lose.

At the end of the dive the person is almost relieved that is over and they can get most that crap off them. Yeah the reef/wreck/whatever was quite amazing but dammit the collar of the suit was choking them, or the 2nd stage was superwet, or they now have a monster blister in the right foot, just arggggg let me just finish paying for the rental of all that and go to the after dive cocktail for now.

Somewhere in the back of your mind, the feeling is that diving is great but somehow is more like great*... you know great with an *
When you have all your gear fitting the way it is supposed to be, it becomes transparent. The gear doesn't exist anymore than whatever shirt you are wearing right now while browsing the board. If the gear is transparent all your attention goes to the actual dive, and when you look at the gauge and realize it is time to end the dive, you wish you could stay a little longer, and when you hit the surface the first thought that comes to your mind, is "I have to do this again as soon as possible". "maybe I can get a bigger tank to stay longer"

Having your own gear is not an automatic feeling of transparency but, you don't start from zero each dive, as you do with rentals. With your own stuff now you know that the whatever needs to be tighter or wrap the such the other way so is not hanging or whatever incremental fixes you can do you your own stuff until tah dah! everything fits like the favorite jeans or sneakers.

To me that applies to every new activity, so many times people start and stop things and it isn't because they didn't like it or were not good at it. They stopped because it was too much hassle, like a sweater that itches, I rather be cold than wear it.

for an occasional recreational diver that only dives on vacation sporadically, personal gear like mask/fins/snorkel, wetsuit if you have an aversion to rental suits, and a wrist dive computer (was not an option on the poll) are the major ones to consider. rent everything else.

I'm jealous.......

Just to complete my open water I had to get my own wetsuit (40 degree water, just after ice out in northern New York). There was absolutely no suit even remotely possible to fit me.

Custom made 1/4" Farmer John and long sleeve "shortie" jacket. Just to get a C-card.....

Within a month I had all my gear (no tanks)....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom