Finding a Firearm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Recently, on another board, I posed the question "What should you do?" when you find a gun while diving. It turns out a few people had indeed found guns and had to make that decision. My question was prompted because we've been finding lots of WWI-era 30-06 ammunition, some in stripper clips.

Note that I'm talking about contemporary guns, typically thrown off a dock or dropped from a boat, not historical artifacts -- which is another matter entirely.

In short:
  • Everybody acknowledges that an gun in the water may have been used in a crime, and (if you bring it up) the best action is probably to notify the police -- lest you be caught with a stolen weapon or one used in a crime.
  • Due to poor vis, currents and silt where we dive, "mark the spot and leave it for the police" generally won't work. If you don't pick it up immediately it's likely gone for good. YMMV.
  • The decision whether to take it really comes down to the diver's comfort level with firearms and the condition of the gun. In all cases, you should make sure it's safe before handling it.
  • Ammunition becomes unstable over time. It's probably dead after being in the water for a while, but you don't know that. I leave ammo on the bottom now.

So, of course, we found a handgun yesterday while diving. In this case there was nothing left but a block of rust, with no magazine. We didn't report this one.

Have you found a gun? What did you do? Please post pictures.

gun.jpg

I would hope I have the presence of mind to leave it alone and call the police if looks like its recently been disposed of. same for something that looks like an artifact.

For something that looks like what you found I'd probably take it up or leave it alone. I've read way too many crime novels. I wouldnt want to break the chain of evidence. My imagination would tell me its a key piece of evidence that would break a cold case wide open

g2:
It does have that shape, but (from photos) it seems this model is bigger than the pocket Colt. Based on the handle logo I'm thinking it's a Browning FN model 1903, which would put it in the same era as the WWI ammo we're finding.
FWIW, I agree. As soon as I saw the oval logo, I thought FN.

Do you suppose that the .30-06 might be from WW II wrecks? Some quick searching showed some casualties in your gross general vicinity. I have no idea where you are diving, though.

Do you suppose that the .30-06 might be from WW II wrecks? Some quick searching showed some casualties in your gross general vicinity. I have no idea where you are diving, though.

Port Townsend Bay and Marrowstone Island, WA. Both areas were the sites of WWI bunkers with large gun emplacements, protecting the straits. No evidence of wrecks. We think it's most likely that the ammunition was dumped after the war because we've found it in a couple areas. Head marks on the ammo were readable enough to identify the manufacturer and date.

cartridge4a.png

And then there was this casing, a much larger caliber. Not sure what happened here but I think someone had a bad day.

cartridge_a.png
cartridge4b.png

I've found lots of guns over the years. Guns, bodies, cars, planes, tire irons and other weapons use in crimes, jewelry, safes, etc. I did underwater recovery for the Sheriff's office for 15 years.

If it's old, like the one above, likely no identification can be made from it, and definitely not after it's been removed from the water. Do whatever with it.

If you come across a more recent gun, my advice would be to leave it and report its location to local LE. For a multitude of reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom