What equipment to own vs to rent

Is it worth owning (vs renting) for an occasional recreational diver? (Check for yes)

• Mask/fins

Votes: 153 98.1%
  • BCD

Votes: 96 61.5%
  • Regualtor Set

Votes: 101 64.7%
  • Basic Wetsuit

Votes: 123 78.8%
  • Collection of different thickness wetsuits

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Dive light

Votes: 87 55.8%
  • Weights

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Tank

Votes: 12 7.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My metric was how many dives I was going to do and cost of rentals. Thailand, included. Indonesia, $30/day. Japan, Maui $50/day. These prices are for the full set, including wetsuit, mask and fins. If regs alone are only $5-10/day, then maybe just rent.

For myself, I like that my regs don't cut into my gums, as some rentals have, either because the rentals were old or the fit wasn't quite right.

I wouldn't recommend the mini DGX dive light, if you're going to get a light. I have one and the batteries will only last for one dive before needing a recharge. That doesn't mean it won't last into dive two. It'll just be dim.

Check out Alec Peirce's Scuba Tech Tips videos on YouTube about getting gear. It'll give you a sense for how to evaluate gear.

with the backup lights around now I use them around the house, in the truck, etc etc, and make a point to not buy anything but dive lights for flashlights. Multi-taskers, one of the few in diving
This is true at home here , counted 3 dive flashlights around the house, wait there is another in the garage, car, shed, boat ...
And a even a few in my dive gear.
I voted for most of the gear on that list, if you can a afford it, buy it , weights and cylinders can wait for now.

Having a full set of gear including tanks is worth it. You'll go diving more. Saves money over renting. Makes you feel like more of a real diver.

Renting tanks sucks, especially if you end up needing to keep them for more than a day (eg. you want to go night diving) and you get multi-day rental charged.

Depends where you live though. If you have access to very cheap rentals or you don't do local diving then the calculation might be different.

A well-fitting wetsuit makes all the difference. I wear a Medium-Tall, normal non-tall sizes I would require a XL for my height, and then it would be too roomy to keep me warm. With the MT, if I don't remember to let water in through my neck seal, I will finish an hour-long dive with my upper body still completely dry.

I clicked the first 4 as essential to own for your situation. Don't need a light unless night diving. Some will disagree, as you can use it for looking in odd places if diving really deep. I did brought my own weights on my only tropical trip, but that was only 12 pounds. Could be handy to have your own, especially if you fly somewhere and do a lot of shore diving.
That's what I'd do in your shoes. If diving more than that (locally, etc.), I would check them all.

I did not at first notice the absence of a computer from that list. Can you explain your thinking?

If you are going to use a computer, it should be one you understand. Each make and model is a little different. All of them have the critical information you need for the dive right in front of you in a way you should be able to understand if you just think it through. On the other hand, each of them handles the more complex information differently. For example, if you go past NDLs and need decompression, if it is not your computer, you likely will not know what it is telling you. You also will not know how to get into the log, set nitrox percentages, etc.

I did not at first notice the absence of a computer from that list. Can you explain your thinking?

If you are going to use a computer, it should be one you understand. Each make and model is a little different. All of them have the critical information you need for the dive right in front of you in a way you should be able to understand if you just think it through. On the other hand, each of them handles the more complex information differently. For example, if you go past NDLs and need decompression, if it is not your computer, you likely will not know what it is telling you. You also will not know how to get into the log, set nitrox percentages, etc.

OP already bought a used Cressi Leonardo.

OP already bought a used Cressi Leonardo.
Ah! Missed it!

The most essential items:
1. Mask

3. Booties
4. Thermal protection

Items that I pack for a no-check bag diving trip:
Booties, computer(x2), mask and wet suit(3mm) + hood.
Rent the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom