Ratio of Johnsons baby shampoo and water for

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhere from 1:10 to 1:4 works. I spray it on, dunk in the water once and put the mask on. Those who keep taking the mask off then putting it back one will lose the coating and then the mask fogs up, so keep the mask on, regardless of what ratio or type of defog is used.

I watched a dive guide defog his mask and decided to 'do what he's doing' and never looked back. WhatEVER kind of soap you use, put it on a toothbrush and scrub it all over the lenses of your mask. After you scrub, scrub it some more. After you've scrubbed it really, really well, rinse it once. Then right before you splash put a little bit of water in one more time, dump it and don your mask. Works great for me. Doesn't matter what kind of soap - dish soap, laundry detergent (the DM was using powdered laundry soap), baby shampoo - I still have some stuff I got at the dive shop and will use it till it's gone and then will use the baby shampoo I have hoarded over the years.

Btw, I always use a fresh water rinse - and try to use lukewarm rather than cold water. But I have avoided using the communal rinse bucket, even pre-covid. Ewww.

I think it's pretty clear from this thread that a variety of ratios will work. For me, I just use a couple of undiluted drops. Rub them into the entire surface of the mask and then rinse enough so you don't see the shampoo streaks on the mask.

Ok so I started to read the other thread but there was 81 pages....so I gather running your mask in the dishwasher??? DO you use dishwashing soap or just run in the dishwasher? What setting? Extra heat?

Ok so I started to read the other thread but there was 81 pages....so I gather running your mask in the dishwasher??? DO you use dishwashing soap or just run in the dishwasher? What setting? Extra heat?
I’ve run mine with the detergent, no heat drying. I’ve also, with a scubapro D mask (two of them) just used regular dish soap and very hot water, let it soak and gave it a quick rub down with the dish soap, rinse hot and it’s worked great.

+1 on undiluted Johnson's baby shampoo from straight out of the box.

I always rinse it in sea water once I splash with a quick flood and clear.

Extra super bonus points for anyone who uses the words titrate or molarity in this discussion. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom