IP problem with brand new Poseidon Xstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, after-market parts and -- judging from your site -- service kits for Poseidon regulators? Will that or will it not void any potential warranty on their products? I recall, that at the last seminar that I attended, in 2018, we were told that Poseidon was even queasy over the use of some external accessories, such as those manufactured by Omni-Swivel, XS, and others . . .

They're Swedish engineers of course they're twitchy...

The Poseidon warranty renews for 3 years at the time of service by an authorized technician using factory authorized parts. So you can use the @Scubagaskets kits, then send to a factory technician and bam the warranty is back. Anything that happens during the use of those kits isn't covered, but how often are there warranty claims that can't be fixed by a normal annual service?

OK, as much as I really thought (or hoped) I would have no reason to revive this thread, here's the thing...
I've been using the above referenced Xstream on my left post when diving doubles (so far without further problems than the ones already solved in thread), while using an Apeks MTX-RC on my right post. I decided to get a second Xstream when the opportunity came up in order to have a matching set. It is pretty much an identical unit to the one I originally purchased, a brand new unused Xstream black, that I bought from someone on FB who had purchased it for travel a year ago, but due to COVID, was not able to use it and decided to sell. Anyway, the regulator has never seen water, and was manufactured in September 2019 based on the serial. I proceeded to put this reg on a tank to test the IP as soon as I received it, and guess what: it has almost the exact same problem as the first one. On a full tank, the IP initially settled in the 130-140 range, and then very slowly kept creeping up to settle a little above 150 psi. Pretty annoyed at this finding, I implemented the strategy outlined above by @rsingler to see whether dust could be the culprit and be in the way of the HP seat sealing correctly. I opened up a low pressure port and cycled the tank valve on and off a bunch of times to attempt to dislodge any fiber or other debris that could potentially be inside the chamber. When I retested the regulator again, the IP was now bouncing to ~125 after a purge or breath, but kept creeping very slowly (one hour plus) to ~ 140psi before finally settling. I thought the problem was getting better, but when re-testing on a full tank, the numbers are about the same as the initial test. So it seems that the initial value to which the IP rebounds and how much it creeps overall depend on tank pressure, with a final resting value of ~150 or so on a 3300 psi tank, and maybe 130-135 on a 1500 psi tank or so.
What is going on here? This is getting kind of ridiculous. Either my garage is like the Bermuda triangle of Poseidon regulators or there is something fishy about Swedish quality control...
By the way, my gauge works just fine. My single tank setup leg3nd locks up rock solid at 122-23 psi, so my gauge is certainly not over-reading.
20210407_200449.jpg

A few years back, Poseidon had a bad run of seats for the 3960 (different design). Perhaps there's a similar affliction for these new cup seats. I hadn't heard that though - maybe give Brian Sheppard at AirTech in North Carolina a call and see if he's heard. Would really love to see that seat under the microscope.

You have a small black cloud. :D
But nothing that a standard service can't fix.

A few years back, Poseidon had a bad run of seats for the 3960 (different design). Perhaps there's a similar affliction for these new cup seats. I hadn't heard that though - maybe give Brian Sheppard at AirTech in North Carolina a call and see if he's heard. Would really love to see that seat under the microscope.

You have a small black cloud. :D
But nothing that a standard service can't fix.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I assume this is nothing that service by a competent technician wouldn't be able to fix, but is it really ok that out of two brand new regulators, they would both require service right out of the box? (and actually also right after coming back from being serviced at Poseidon headquarters in Sweden the first time for that matter, since that first reg failed right after service for a different issue related to the filter o-ring in the DIN stem). I mean, does this calibrated sticker that sits on top of the first stage mean anything? I get that there could be a bad run of seats or something, but these two were manufactured more than one year apart, so you'd assume that would have been detected before. Also, since this is an issue that appears before even the first dive on unused regs, and I can detect with my extremely basic tools, why wouldn't this be caught at the factory upon initial calibration? If it's a bad seat issue, shouldn't this be immediately detectable before sending them out? Would initially functional seats degrade/fail over a few months while the regs were sitting in their box unused?

Kind of strange. In any case, should I send you this first stage? :)

Ah yes, I see that your mk19's had somewhat of a QC problem as well, sorry to hear. The good news is, you can easily fix it, I can't (yet!)
I sent my brand new Mk19 and D420 to Rob....he also fixed mine like I mentioned and his price was beyond reasonable...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom