Fukushima (Japan): TEPCO to release radioactive water into sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soloist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
FUBAR. Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) has released radioactive material into the atmosphere and sea from the outset of the Fukushima disaster. Now they can do it openly with the blessing of Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga. By the way, the Japanese government announced a de facto nationalization of TEPCO in 2012. Interesting. BUT, the Tokyo Electric Power Company is expected to play a “key role” in achieving Japan's “targets” for reduced carbon dioxide emissions (so called greenhouse gasses) under the Kyoto Protocol. Gee, thanks TEPCO!

Japan to start releasing treated radioactive Fukushima water into sea in 2 years

The sushi I will be served the next time I am in Japan (probably)

BlinkyNigiri.jpg

When they were spraying it with water from a fire hose after the disaster they claimed they were cooling it. However, obviously they were washing it. Since then, I do not believe a word they say.

Tritium. No big deal. The fission products and decay daughters are less than MDA and all radionuclides are far less than legal limits and what the Navy pumps overboard during routine operations.

did anyone see that episode of Gilligan's Island where they found the radioactive vegetables?

Reactions: Doc
Sure. The release of tritium, a relatively harmless isotope, into rivers and oceans from power plants is standard operating procedure. However, nothing about the procedures surrounding the Fukushima disaster, the second worst nuclear accident in history, have been “standard”, unless you simply have blind faith in government.

Tritium. No big deal. The fission products and decay daughters are less than MDA and all radionuclides are far less than legal limits and what the Navy pumps overboard during routine operations.
LOL. This is irrelevant to Chicken Little.

Reactions: Doc
LOL. This is irrelevant to Chicken Little.
Kinda like 6 of 6.6 million recipients of Pfizer got a blood clot, so lets throw the whole thing out.

Yes, I get it.

Yes, it's probably a Pub discussion.

Sometime I like tilting at windmills and attempting to educate the general public about something I actually happen to be expert on. Not just making up facts as I go along.

Kinda like 6 of 6.6 million recipients of Pfizer got a blood clot, so lets throw the whole thing out.

Yes, I get it.

Yes, it's probably a Pub discussion.

Sometime I like tilting at windmills and attempting to educate the general public about something I actually happen to be expert on. Not just making up facts as I go along.

Actually, I agreed and supported your statement regarding tritium as no big deal.

By the way, Johnson & Johnson is the pharmaceutical under assault by the media regarding blood clots. Not Pfizer. As a side note, the risks to women 18 to 48 of getting a clot from hormonal birth control are far greater, 0.3% to 1%, depending on the study.

Actually, I agreed and supported your statement regarding tritium as no big deal.

By the way, Johnson & Johnson is the pharmaceutical under assault by the media regarding blood clots. Not Pfizer. The risk to women 18 to 48 of getting getting a clot from hormonal birth control are far greater, 0.3% to 1%, depending on the study.
Oh, dammit. Thanks.

And yes, decay daughters are a big deal, but as long as they have been run through an ion exchange process which captures the solids but not the gasses, that leaves pretty much the iodine as a long lived fission product, and the release limit for iodine is quite large.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom