Got to love halycon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the motivation to send mine in. I read the previous thread and thought about sending mine back. I will send it out this week.

Jackie

Love my Halcyon single tank backplate and wing.

I had one of the older Pioneer single tank wings that does not have a removable bladder. The shell and bladder are bonded together or something. The threaded port for the inflator hose elbow started to tear out of the wing on a dive. I had to maintain head down trim to keep some air in it.

When I called Halcyon to see if they could help me at all with the wing they told me to pound sand. I asked if they would at least take a look at it and was told not to even bother sending it in.

couv wanted it to take a shot at fixing it, but I never heard how that went.

Glad OP had a good experience.

@Six2Life Long time no see. How are you?

Couv did indeed take a shot at fixing it. I tried several different approaches to get it sorted including a custom made inner fitting. That almost works, but part of the issue is the bladder material itself has lost it's air-tightness (if that's a word) around the elbow connection. Slathering Aquaseal and other sealants did not produce acceptable results. An over-sized inner flange with a rubber seal has produced the best results, but still it has a bit of a leak. I would dive it under the right conditions, but not something I could loan to a loved one or sell.

Note I've used a generic bladder flange (outer.)

Bladder flange modification parts 3.jpg

Bladder flange modification parts installed on wing.jpg

Edit with a few more pix.

Broken original inner flange.
IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG

When I called Halcyon to see if they could help me at all with the wing they told me to pound sand. I asked if they would at least take a look at it and was told not to even bother sending it in.

Wow; I am surprised by the response. It does not sound like them at all.

But this brings up another topic of interest: At what point does a manufacturer/vendor stop being so "generous"? It's not reasonable to ask a manuf/vendor to accept things that has a finite life and has reached the end of its life. See what happened to LLBean and their forever warranty: They were loosing $550 million/yr due to returns. (people would take advantage)

@Six2Life Long time no see. How are you?

Doing well. Finally working on getting back in the water sometime soon, which is the reason for my renewed interest in wings, since I never replaced the busted Pioneer until yesterday.

Where did you find the larger size repair flange shown on the right in your 2nd to last photo? Despite all of the warnings and measurements indicating that it wouldn’t work, I had to give the DGX repair flange a try, but of course the diameter ended up being way too small.

Wow; I am surprised by the response. It does not sound like them at all.

But this brings up another topic of interest: At what point does a manufacturer/vendor stop being so "generous"? It's not reasonable to ask a manuf/vendor to accept things that has a finite life and has reached the end of its life. See what happened to LLBean and their forever warranty: They were loosing $550 million/yr due to returns. (people would take advantage)

I wasn’t even necessarily looking for a freebie, just some help in getting the thing fixed so I could get back in the water. From couv’s post, it is clear that a repair would not be easy or realistic which I’m sure Halcyon knew better than me at the time. I think the main issue was that while the concept of the one-piece Pioneer wing was good, it had what appears to be a fatal flaw that could only be fixed by replacing it with something else.

It would have been nice if they offered a replacement at a discount or something like that.

Where did you find the larger size repair flange shown on the right in your 2nd to last photo?

A friend 3D printed them.

since I never replaced the busted Pioneer until yesterday.
What wing are you using now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom