Ratio of Johnsons baby shampoo and water for

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing to do with “thin layers or film” left on mask. Either it fills the microcavities or it doesn’t. Viscosity seems less important than the chemistry. If 100% works for you - great. I only use 20% - works for me.

Why do I very often get fogging with even a 50% solution but not 100%? Science says there has to be a ratio and method that works for everyone, right? Do you rub your 20% into the lenses, then rinse?

Why do I very often get fogging with even a 50% solution but not 100%? Science says there has to be a ratio and method that works for everyone, right? Do you rub your 20% into the lenses, then rinse?

I just spray it on, rub it lightly then rinse with water. That’s it. I’m sure there’s an optimal solution - someone needs to design an experiment with thousands of divers, different masks, formulations of shampoo, hardness of water, differing temperatures. In the meantime, I’ll just stick with what works for me.

To be honest, I never measure proportions precisely. I just mix the stuff together in a best guess 80-20 and my formulation always seems to work.

To be honest, I never measure proportions precisely. I just mix the stuff together in a best guess 80-20

Doesn't strike me as something a mathematician would do! :wink::p

Doesn't strike me as something a mathematician would do! :wink::p

I seldom work with numbers. Few mathematicians do. Statisticians, accountants and chefs are better with numbers!

squirt two blobs on each side

use your finger to glide the shampoo all over the lens

go over the whole surface twice

then scoop in some sea water and gentle swish away the shampoo with you finger

don't press into the glass otherwise you're just removing the film

swish away the blob of shampoo

until it looks clear

I do the same.

Try not to breathe out through my nose during diving, other than for equalizing the ambient pressure with the pressure in the mask. If I breathe out through my nose into the mask too often, the warm, 100% humidity air coming out of the nose would condense on the cold lens and wash away the baby shampoo film.

Same problem with leaky mask, the often you drain the leaky water off the mask, the sooner the film would be washed off the lens, the sooner you fog up the mask. Games over.

Things have changed a bit with Covid.
No more communal mask-rinse buckets most places.
Spit was NEVER nice in those, but people did it anyway.
Lots of colds/sinus infections got transmitted.
I'm happy to see them go.

Use the boat's defog but rinse my mask with saltwater briefly after jumping off the boat.

I hear the Pfizer and Moderna defog is even more effective than J&J, for what it's worth.

(sorry.)

True, But I heard J&J causes mask clotting in 1/1M cases.

Why do I very often get fogging with even a 50% solution but not 100%?

It's likely to be that the 50% solution isn't providing a great film on the lense

I'm a 100% person. Just a dab on my finger rubbed onto both lenses. It's important that the lense is dry before application other with you don't get a film and get fogging

I personally clean my masks every couple of months or so, with toothpaste and them warm soapy water just to remove inbuilt body oil and grease.

I did find that if I rinsed with fresh water or drinking water the mask would sometimes fog up, where as with sea water is never does (assuming correct application not over washing etc etc)

Even though I'm a nose breather I rarely get mask fogging issues but I'm diving in warm waters so that might have an impact too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom