Carbon Monoxide kills two - Eforie, Romania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Sensorcon cost about $125 and lasted 6 years before replacement. Works well and price is still about the same.
I've been sending mine in every two years for full service, replace battery & sensor, but last time it was due I got a nice deal on a new one so just replaced it. I kept the old one laying around and turned on and it's still working fine eight months later. How long have you used one left turned on 24x7 before it failed?

Their engineers claim that the software accommodates for sensor drift. I guess even if not totally accurate, it'd still be close enough to give an alarm on a dangerous level. I use mine in a gallon ziplock on trips. Do you use the hose? I know that some do but I thought that the air pressure would give false positives.

I've been sending mine in every two years for full service, replace battery & sensor, but last time it was due I got a nice deal on a new one so just replaced it. I kept the old one laying around and turned on and it's still working fine eight months later. How long have you used one left turned on 24x7 before it failed?

Their engineers claim that the software accommodates for sensor drift. I guess even if not totally accurate, it'd still be close enough to give an alarm on a dangerous level. I use mine in a gallon ziplock on trips. Do you use the hose? I know that some do but I thought that the air pressure would give false positives.
How much is the service? And how do you use the bag-- just put it over the valve and fill it with the sensor inside?

Not enough, and no - not at this time. Divenav did make one that checked O2 and CO, but they couldn't run a business.
It's a real tragedy. I think I saw some working open source O2/CO analyzer builds in the DIY section of the forum. It's not really that complex of a build, a single arduino, and a sensor for each gas to analyze. The hardest part would be 3d printing a housing suitable for connecting it to your tank.

Fortunately if you can get your hands on a used cootwo, they are still mostly serviceable. I've replaced the sensors on mine after the demise of divenav.

Also Analox makes (or did they stop making it) a CO analyzer. You need a separate unit for O2 though. I sold both my Analox CO tester and my Analox O2 tester when I got the cootwo.

Edit: This is the link to a thread about a DIY multi gas analyzer. It's pretty simple and requires only basic electronics skills. You could probably build one that tested CO and O2 for well under $100 with the bulk of that cost being the sensors. DIY Gas analyzer

How much is the service? And how do you use the bag-- just put it over the valve and fill it with the sensor inside?
$69. You'd want to call or email to confirm that includes battery & sensor replacement as that's not spelled out. I would but I got to get offline now. Out of Warranty Repair

Yeah, I have the unit on, inside a one gallon ziplock (get a heavy duty freezer bag with easy closing handles and carry a spare as they develop leaks in use), crack the valve, fill it trying to avoid sucking in much outside air, close and wait a couple of minutes. DO NOT crack the valve with the bag already in place. You will send bag and unit overboard. Ask me how I know.
Fortunately, if you can get your hands on a cootwo, they are still mostly servicable. I've replaced the sensors on mine after the demise of divenav.
I have an old one I should get serviced, but I still have my Sensorcon and my Analox CO that work.
Also Analox makes (or did they stop making it)
They stopped. Not enough buyers. I love the way I can calibrate on the boat.

Yeah, I have the unit on, inside a one gallon ziplock (get a heavy duty freezer bag with easy closing handles and carry a spare as they develop leaks in use), crack the valve, fill it trying to avoid sucking in much outside air, close and wait a couple of minutes. DO NOT crack the valve with the bag already in place. You will send bag and unit overboard. Ask me how I know.

Yea, that process sounds like a serious PITA to do for every tank after every fill. Do none of the CO analyzers allow you to use them as you do O2 analyzers? Hold them up to the tank valve, crack the valve, wait 20-30 seconds for the reading to stabilize, done.

Yea, that process sounds like a serious PITA to do for every tank after every fill. Do none of the CO analyzers allow you to use them as you do O2 analyzers? Hold them up to the tank valve, crack the valve, wait 20-30 seconds for the reading to stabilize, done.
You want cheap or easy? Pick one, not both.

If you want easy, get the Palm CO. Whichever, divers who want to minimize risks better than the two in the original story will test every tank. It's not a sport for the sloppy.

You want cheap or easy? Pick one, not both.

If you want easy, get the Palm CO. Whichever, divers who want to minimize risks better than the two in the original story will test every tank. It's not a sport for the sloppy.

Thanks @DandyDon. That is helpful.

IF I ever get one I will definitely go for easy over cheap. I'll spend a few extra scuba-bucks to have a tool that works efficiently otherwise I won't use it consistently. I still maintain that getting gas from known, trusted, reputable US-based sources as I do is a viable risk mitigation strategy. Scuba is full of risks. Potential CO in your breathing gas is just one of those risks. Most risks cannot be eliminated, only managed. You may consider my risk mitigation approach "sloppy". I obviously disagree. If my opinion ever changes I'll probably pick up a Palm CO.

Yes, that's the one I've been using. Works well.

I've only left it on for extended periods outside of dive use when I've needed one for work environments. I changed the battery myself, it lasted about 4 years. A friend has the recalibration gas so I've done that too. Interestingly it has yet to "need" the recalibration. It has detected small amounts of CO with the same readings before and after the process.

I use mine the same way I use my Nitrox analyzer. Usually I crack the valve to a slow flow then hold sensor up to valve. Sometimes a slow purge from the regulator (tricky, have to hold it just right, or I'll use a bc connector adapter.

I've only left it on for extended periods outside of dive use when I've needed one for work environments. I changed the battery myself, it lasted about 4 years.
Oh, I leave mine on 24x7. I don't mind looking like a geek so wear in on my cargo pocket everywhere.

Interestingly it has yet to "need" the recalibration. It has detected small amounts of CO with the same readings before and after the process.
They claim that the software adjusts for respected sensor drift. I think it'll say close enough to keep you relatively safe.

I still maintain that getting gas from known, trusted, reputable US-based sources as I do is a viable risk mitigation strategy. Scuba is full of risks. Potential CO in your breathing gas is just one of those risks. Most risks cannot be eliminated, only managed. You may consider my risk mitigation approach "sloppy". I obviously disagree.
Okaaaay. Or try this for cheap & easy both maybe.
Usually I crack the valve to a slow flow then hold sensor up to valve.

Back
Top Bottom