Inon S2000 with Sony RX 100/2 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immeriswas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After several years my simple manuell strobe broke and I bought an Inon S2000, partly because the TTL Mode attracted me. Not that the manuell gave me problems, but to have more time to concentrate on composition. But now testing the new strobe, in TTLmode all pictures are dark, although the flash went off - as of too late or too early ?
The manuell mode is working fine. I tried different settings,with and without the magnet and different camera modes (M,A,S) . Has somebody a clue??
Thanks
Peter

Thanks, but I read this tutorial already.
It seems that the Sony RX 100/2 in manuell mode doesn't support the TTL of the Inon strobe. I have no other explanation.

Try to take an image in the mirror to see if you see the strobe. If you don't see it it is not syncing properly. If you look in this INON webpage you will it claims to work OK in TTL:
INON S-2000 Strobe [Compatibility]
It could be a number of things, be sure red eye reduction is off.
What settings are you using on the camera? Are you using manual mode on the RX-100? Which flash mode are you using? What sort of cable? If cable transmission is poor it may not sync properly.

Thanks , I read this also and was a bit surprised
I will try an original Inon cable, but I doubt that this is the reason, because in manuell mode the strobe is working fine ( topside ) and the Inon wepage shows a set up without a cable just using a transparent housing as I have. Additional with the S 2000 there comes a little glue on mirror set to use for cableless transmission. That suggest , that a cable is not necessarily needed.
Maybe my Canon , which is 7 years old is simply not working properly anymoore.
I wait a few weeks to let the Baltic Sea warm up ( 6 degrees at the moment ) and will try it there underwater , to see if at least the manell set up with the strobe is working .

If your housing is transparent, no need to buy a cable to test I don't think, just hold the sensor close to the flash to see if it syncs - take a photo in a mirror to see if it is triggered in your photo. Manual is generally easier to trigger than TTL so triggering in manual is not a sign that all is right for TTL. If it triggers without a cable, then try a better quality cable.

Is you camera a Canon or an RX-100 ?? if it is Canon there is another explanation.

Thanks , I read this also and was a bit surprised
I will try an original Inon cable, but I doubt that this is the reason, because in manuell mode the strobe is working fine ( topside ) and the Inon wepage shows a set up without a cable just using a transparent housing as I have. Additional with the S 2000 there comes a little glue on mirror set to use for cableless transmission. That suggest , that a cable is not necessarily needed.
Maybe my Canon , which is 7 years old is simply not working properly anymoore.
I wait a few weeks to let the Baltic Sea warm up ( 6 degrees at the moment ) and will try it there underwater , to see if at least the manell set up with the strobe is working .
Peter, we tried to help you in the other thread, you can trust to what is said there. We all would have liked that strobe worked without wire, but unfortunately you need them. Manual mode will work because camera flash fires with full power immediately, sensor can easily read this but sTTL will not work most of the time. Inon is primarily designed to work with canon cameras. It will work in sTTL if you use the cable. I am using Inon for over 20 years, Canon, Oly, Sony, Nikon, used all of them in TTL without problem. So, do your self a favor and get a quality optic cable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom