Transmitters on Short Hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If we were to only discuss things once around here the interaction and chance to advance new ideas would be more limited. I will offer my experience and opinion here regarding redundant pressure gauges.

Agreed on pretty much every point you've made. My question was specifically about transmitters on hoses vs. a direct connection. Using transmitters only or SPGs only both make sense to me. Adding SPGs as a "redundancy" to transmitters or putting button gauges on the first stage is a bad practice I'll avoid. To my original question, I sounds like the answer is to directly connect the transmitter to the first stage if the first stage has a HP port that sticks straight down so the transmitter doesn't stick out too far and if the tank neck allows for it. Otherwise, put the transmitter on a hose long enough to secure the transmitter under the top tank band.

Steve Davis covers the transmitter issue in a YouTube video here:

Agreed on pretty much every point you've made. My question was specifically about transmitters on hoses vs. a direct connection. Using transmitters only or SPGs only both make sense to me. Adding SPGs as a "redundancy" to transmitters or putting button gauges on the first stage is a bad practice I'll avoid. To my original question, I sounds like the answer is to directly connect the transmitter to the first stage if the first stage has a HP port that sticks straight down so the transmitter doesn't stick out too far and if the tank neck allows for it. Otherwise, put the transmitter on a hose long enough to secure the transmitter under the top tank band.

Certainly use just one option (SPG or Transmitter) if you wish but calling it a "bad practice"? That's a bit of a stretch. Based upon what? How is it "bad"?

Also most people who dive both do not "add" an SPG as redundancy. They had one all along. It is the transmitter that has been added. At least that's how my diving evolved.

Certainly dive as you wish. I really couldn't care less. But calling it a bad practice to have redundancy to your transmitter is a bit much.

EDIT: Perhaps the "bad practice" applies to sidemount? If so that may be so. I'm not a sidemount diver and I know next to nothing about sidemount. I'm referring to backmount diving be it singles or doubles. That may be off track from your question. If so feel free to ignore my comments.

EDIT: Perhaps the "bad practice" applies to sidemount? If so that may be so. I'm not a sidemount diver and I know next to nothing about sidemount. I'm referring to backmount diving be it singles or doubles. That may be off track from your question. If so feel free to ignore my comments.

This is the sidemount forum.

This is the sidemount forum.

Yea, I get that. But your question about transmitter redundancy seemed to be to be broader than just sidemount. But I see that you are approaching it quite narrowly. Given that I'm out.

I understand why you might want an SPG, but why would you want to place it so it interferes with the tank valve in case you have to feather the tank?
If you noticed the stainless steel hoses are on a bungee and their location is on the top. In cave diving an SPG is mandatory . My regs sit against my chest for protection from cave walls and rocks. If the $hit hits the fan, I can always change out the regulator underwater using my deco or stage bottle regs.

I directly mount mine to the first stage and on my aluminum tanks I have to rotate the first stage a bit so the transmitter clears the tank and just a bit more for clearance. Hose routing is still fine with this slight rotation and my rotating turret first stages.

Wasn't this a thread about whether to mount the transmitters directly on the first stages in sidemount? It that's the case, then the answer is yes. At least that's what I've seen all the cool kids with perdix ai computers do. Me, I'm still in the stone age with a non-ai petrel, so I use SPGs.

I have had my 2 transmitters connected to first stages for a few years.
I recently took up cave diving where, as you all know, redundancy is key. I felt adding a couple spgs would provide a little extra peace of mind.
I have never had a transmitter signal issue but these issues aren't exactly planned either. In the event that a transmitter ever does fail, it would be comforting for me (and for my buddy) to know what WE have left in the tank as we exit the dive.
upload_2021-5-3_13-5-13.png

...thanks to lockdowns I am currently at 23 days since getting wet and it's driving me nuts. :(

I had button SPGs attached to my first stages for awhile but they wanted to get up into my d ring and were a bummer to get back out. I removed them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom