Fisher vs 4 pins for Shearwater Nerd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

signix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi
I am a baby rEvo rebreather diver and I would like to add a Nerd on my unit.
I will try the sidewinder this summer and might have one if I enjoy the unit.
I was looking to an option to keep the computer between the units and was wondering which connector to get.
4 pins connector can be plug underwater which sound good but I see much more fisher connectors and it is a bit cheaper.
What are your experiences on different connectors and do you have any advices ?
Thank you

Over time the Fischer cables and connectors have reliability problems. I don't know for sure that they are worse than the 4pin cables, but they are not great. My personal experience is on 4 rebreathers (wife and I) over about 12-13 years. I've had to replace every Fischer cable at least one time. That's 8 cables over ~1600 dives. 200 dives per cable. About $1.25 USD per dive. Not terrible in the big picture, but it's something you need to keep a spare for.

Having similar hours on both, 4-pin, hands down. Have replaced 1 fischer socket and one fischer cable in the same number of hours with no 4-Pin problems. To oversimplify things, look at surface area of the different pins in the two types.

Go 4-pin.

The Fischer connection isn't used in (at least most of the) new rebreathers these days.

The 4-pin should b very universal. But the last I knew they are only available in rEvo and KISS flavors. The 4 wires only go to (up to) 3 cells. So it should work with anything. Nothing should make I proprietary to any rebreather.

I don't know if the Nerd can even do Fischers anymore. At any rate, if you have a choice go 4 pin. Fischer's are on their way out.

it should not even be a discussion in your mind. Fischer cables are not rated for this type of activity and should have gone out of fashion a decade ago but Shearwater won't kill them off for some stupid reason. 4-pin, not even a question.

Reactions: OTF
I remember a story that it was tied into some government contract or something like that. That is why the Fischer was in production so long. Thankfully the 4-pin came out and life got better.

It is really hard for companies to deprecate things like this. There are a lot of users out there with investments in Fischer Shearwaters, Rebreather gear, etc. Forcing your customers to spend money to replace something that is still working just fine just because it's an old design is not customer friendly.

Now if SW comes out with a new design connected computer in the future I won't be surprised if they don't offer a fischer option. But I am sure they will continue to service the old ones for a long time to come.

It is really hard for companies to deprecate things like this. There are a lot of users out there with investments in Fischer Shearwaters, Rebreather gear, etc. Forcing your customers to spend money to replace something that is still working just fine just because it's an old design is not customer friendly.

Now if SW comes out with a new design connected computer in the future I won't be surprised if they don't offer a fischer option. But I am sure they will continue to service the old ones for a long time to come.

yeah that's not really the case. They could have gone to 4-pin and offered a 4-pin to fischer cable like N90. There is no excuse for continued production of that abysmal cable

4 pins connector can be plug underwater which sound good but I see much more fisher connectors and it is a bit cheaper.
What are your experiences on different connectors and do you have any advices ?
Thank you

It's a rebreather. It's a life support device. "cheaper" shouldn't be in your decision tree.

FWIW, Fischer's have been used for years, but they can be a bit delicate -- just handle them with care. Personally, I just switched my Fathom from a Fischer to the 4-pin connector, I should be getting it back today.

Back
Top Bottom