Sealife 3.0?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting not one reply after a couple months. I assume you mean the Micro 3.0. Looks like a good camera.

I am wondering about the next one in the DC line since it's been so long, and now I see Sea Life has discontinued the DC2000. The gap between the Micro and DC series seems to be narrowing with (I assume) cheaper technology, so maybe Sea Life is going more with the Micro.

I ended up buying one but haven't used it yet lol

Aside from flood resistance, what does it do that a GoPro doesn't?

The GoPro is more flexible for sure. But really no way to use an external light and no dedicated color adjustment. I like an actual strobe which is why I may wait for a new DC camera, but have not tried one of Sea Life's other lights.

My old strobe no longer works unfortunately. So I may replace it and then need to add a separate light for video. Gets a little expensive with 2 lights but quality of imaging is greatly enhanced.

I've grown up with SeaLife - Reefmaster Mini, DC 1200, DC2000. Don't remember the megapixels of the mini but through my 65 year old eyes, I have what I consider to be great pictures that, if I didn't know which camera I had taken them with, would all look like they were from the same camera to me. Have gone from using a strobe to a strobe and video light to a video light only. The Micro 3.0 is $170 less than what I paid for the DC2000 (with a trade in of my old mini.) Looks like some nice and newer features than what I now have. I like the enclosed camera over the housing (like the old RM mini), but that is a personal preference. Can't imagine the Micro 3.0 is a downgrade. If I had money to burn, I'd try it.

Interesting not one reply after a couple months

Still must be too new. SeaLife's FaceBook page has plenty of photos and videos from the 1400 and 2000 (and iPhone housing) and they look (or can be made to look) great. Shared the FB link below.

SeaLife Underwater Imaging Group

Now, the only thing that might really respond to the OP's inquiry:

The only recent Micro 3.0 video I found on the SeaLife FB page was link to the You Tube video I shared below. Cold water in the Netherlands....brrrrrr! Might give you an idea of quality of the video.

The GoPro is more flexible for sure. But really no way to use an external light and no dedicated color adjustment. I like an actual strobe which is why I may wait for a new DC camera, but have not tried one of Sea Life's other lights.

Right, but the Micro series can't use strobes either, and I've seen some pretty good colors come from the newer GoPros. As for DC2000, yes, it can use strobes, but it's even more pointless than the Micro. It's a Sony RX100 III sensor stuck behind a very odd choice of a lens - 35mm-equivalent is a focal length that I don't believe I've ever used underwater on my camera; it's too narrow to properly utilize wet wide lenses (usually built for 28mm or 24mm) yet too wide for diopters, where you usually want 60mm or more. It also takes several seconds to recycle between RAW shots, and the waterproofing is of limited utility as you need to house it for scuba diving anyway. Discontinuing it was a sensible decision; I'm not sure putting it into production to begin with was one.

I went with the 2.0 because of the large "piano" keys...easy to operate with thick cold water gloves. Same with the 3.0.

I bought the 3.0 and the new Sealife sport diver case for the iPhone. I won't be hitting tropical waters till August. I did use the 3.0 in the pool and I felt the video came out better than the pictures. It was a pretty murky pool...lol

Back
Top Bottom