Juturna Springs in Maryland is working to re-open

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooManyHobbies

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After working to change county law in Frederick MD, Juturna is steadily coming back. Some construction is needed to fully open commercially and they’re campaigning to get that going. Please take a look at this page and consider donating what you can.
Can’t wait to see you in the water!

Juturna Springs: A World Class Eco-Resort

I'd be willing to donate. Was lucky enough to get a few dives in during the limited period they were open, this would be really nice to have and would stop a lot of Northern Virginians from having to drive down to Lake Phoenix I believe.

I'd be willing to donate. Was lucky enough to get a few dives in during the limited period they were open, this would be really nice to have and would stop a lot of Northern Virginians from having to drive down to Lake Phoenix I believe.

That’s awesome! Let me know when you’re coming up here after opening and I’ll dive with you.

I’m really excited to get the C-130 in the water.

Doesn't "World Class Eco-Resort" seem a bit pretentious for a quarry in Maryland? Oversell is not compelling.

Doesn't "World Class Eco-Resort" seem a bit pretentious for a quarry in Maryland? Oversell is not compelling.

I can see what you mean. It’s not my tag line, I just like diving there and am friends with the team running it.

The eventual goal is indeed to run a long-term ecological resort there that spans a massive amount of land and does lots of education and allows research teams to come in. There have been some cool test projects so far.
Short-term, we just want to get people back in the water and drop the plane in there.

I'm sure "world class eco-resort" is aspirational but it will be game-changing for DC-area divers and I like that the planners are thinking big.

I certainly found the ecology of Juturna distinct from others I've dived in the area (Millbrook, Phoenix, Guppy Gulch, and Dutch Springs) but don't expect reefs or whale sharks :) I'll settle for a Quar-ibbean resort with hot showers, organized gear rinse, supervised gear storage, and good food on site, maybe some amenities for non-divers. The draw for me also is that it's an easy day trip, so no need to stress about sleeping accommodations.

Any public status info on Juturna Spings opening?

Any public status info on Juturna Spings opening?
Hey, we've all been waiting 4 years now.

"Real Soon Now." Yeah, Right.

Meanwhile:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom