Next Doubles Question - Leaving in Car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrVegas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If I am too lazy to haul my doubles out of the back of my car for a week or so, is there any problem leaving them on their side? I know you're supposed to store them upright, but I can't imagine a few days or weeks would really matter. (My tanks live in my basement upright over the winter or when not in regular use. If I know I am turning around and diving the next weekend, sometimes they stay in the car.)

Really, just curious how long people leave them laying in the back of their cars.

My o2 is in the car outside in the sun forever

I've had one set of gear in the cars for years

Drive along the coast, start smiling and stop

Reactions: OTF
The tanks I dive regularly with stay in my car all year long elsewhere in the Midwest. I was diving once a month all winter. They were fine. They’re fine in the summer. Not sure I would leave a 100% O2 bottle in the car, but air or Nitrox tanks? No problem.

If you're diving salt water you really should wash them. Even a little rinse with a camping shower at the end of the dive is better than nothing if they live in the car all the time.

They could be an issue in a car accident. A bad crash could certainly be enough to blow up a tank. Or even if it doesn't rupture, an unsecured tank could become a dangerous heavy projectile.

If heat was a problem you'd hear about it. Tanks are left in hot cars in hot places all over the world every day. Occasionally the burst disk can let go, especially if it's an overfilled tank, weak old burst disk, in a very hot car. Worst case there is a very loud scary nose and empty tank.

If you're diving salt water you really should wash them. Even a little rinse with a camping shower at the end of the dive is better than nothing if they live in the car all the time.

They could be an issue in a car accident. A bad crash could certainly be enough to blow up a tank. Or even if it doesn't rupture, an unsecured tank could become a dangerous heavy projectile.

If heat was a problem you'd hear about it. Tanks are left in hot cars in hot places all over the world every day. Occasionally the burst disk can let go, especially if it's an overfilled tank, weak old burst disk, in a very hot car. Worst case there is a very loud scary nose and empty tank.

OP lives in OH. I’d bet he’s diving fresh water.

If you have water in them, then leaving then leaving them on their sides will result in eventual rust pitting in the sides in addition to the bottom.

Of course, if you have water in them, then that THAT is a problem that needs to be solved!

Depends on the temperatures you experience and what burst disks are fitted. I've left tanks filled at 200bar in the hot sun in my car for a few hours came back and was curious how much pressure they would have so connected up a regulator and they had 260 bar!

OP lives in OH. I’d bet he’s diving fresh water.

Correct -- I get to warm, salty water once in a great while, but mostly diving the quarry circuit in Ohio. Fresh water is probably all these tanks will ever see. Hopefully, I'll get out on the Great Lakes once or twice this summer.

I appreciate everyone's advice once again. (As much as I'd like my tanks to live permanently in my car, occasionally I do have to make room for something other than scuba gear.)

Correct -- I get to warm, salty water once in a great while, but mostly diving the quarry circuit in Ohio. Fresh water is probably all these tanks will ever see. Hopefully, I'll get out on the Great Lakes once or twice this summer.

I appreciate everyone's advice once again. (As much as I'd like my tanks to live permanently in my car, occasionally I do have to make room for something other than scuba gear.)

Just pile the groceries on top of the tanks! :D. That’s what I do.

Back
Top Bottom