CO monitoring system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
@iain/hsm In another thread, not to be mentioned here, you posted information about an in-line CO monitoring system. As I was late to that party I missed out on the relevant information. Could you post pictures and information here re a live monitoring system and how/where to plumb it?

Cheers,

Couv

I know you were asking for ian, but I can tell you what I did. I got an Oxycheq CO monitor and they're flow limiter(required for it to work when inline). On my manifold/fill panel I added a line valve, then the flow limiter. THe flow limiter has a barb on the end that allows you to run plastic tubing from the limiter to the CO monitor. When filling, I open the line valve, allowing post-compressor gas to get to the CO monitor, and since it's plumbed into my fill manifold, it's measuring what's actively going into the tanks.
I'm still shocked that professional dive shops don't have inline CO monitoring in most cases. I think it was less than a $500 investment.

Robert:

On my system, I plumbed in a tee on the fill whip output. On one leg of the tee (with a shut off valve) I put a female DIN (for what they are, they are not cheap) fitting. Off that I run an oxycheq DIN flow limiter that then goes into another tee, one leg being a ball check (pressure relief), the other feeding an adjustable flow meter (my meter really likes 0.5 lpm for accurate readings). The other output I feed to a Sensorcon (made here where I live) CO meter. All plumbing from beyond the Oxycheq DIN flow limiter is all "fish tank" tubing. I got a little fancy, but that is just me....

Works slick as all heck.

I can provide images at a later time.

I installed an Analox CO clear on my compressors on the Spree. I found them to last an extremely long time (5 years when I sold the boat) and never had a problem with calibration.

I'm still shocked that professional dive shops don't have inline CO monitoring in most cases. I think it was less than a $500 investment.

Yeah. Why isn't that mandatory or at least standard practice?

Be careful with the Sensorcons. When they were first becoming a thing I ordered one and got inconsistent results (verfiied by using my oxycheq). I contacted Sensorcon and after multiple emails back and forth, they confessed that their sensors were never meant for diving application and the accuracy of the reading was highly dependent on flow to the sensor. The wrong amount of flow can lead to false positives and negatives. Sensorcons are cheap, but I don't think they're a good choice for this application.

Yeah. Why isn't that mandatory or at least standard practice?

No clue. It should be. Around here a dive shop pumped CO to a few divers, but luckily it was caught by the divers and nobody was hurt. Even after that the shops haven't all fully adopted CO monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom