One of These Tanks Is Not alike the Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
upload_2021-4-17_10-50-39.jpeg
I just got a new tank and valve shipped to me. I know for sure the valve is wrong because it doesn’t have the safety handwheel. I suspect the tank is wrong, because it looks different than the two I have. Also, the shop had said they wouldn’t be in for a month, and their website says they’re still out of stock. So I have 2HP 100s that are hot dip galvanized, and then I have this new tank that instead of being a dull gray is a bright shiny silver. I suspect it’s not hot dip galvanized (it’s supposed to be). Can anyone tell by looking at it whether it’s hot dip galvanized?

View attachment 653955 I just got a new tank and valve shipped to me. I know for sure the valve is wrong because it doesn’t have the safety handwheel. I suspect the tank is wrong, because it looks different than the two I have. Also, the shop had said they wouldn’t be in for a month, and their website says they’re still out of stock. So I have 2HP 100s that are hot dip galvanized, and then I have this new tank that instead of being a dull gray is a bright shiny silver. I suspect it’s not hot dip galvanized (it’s supposed to be). Can anyone tell by looking at it whether it’s hot dip galvanized?

Paul,

My new Fabers, HP Steel 80's (two sets of doubles) galvanized, were shiny when new, you can easily tell Faber tanks that have been painted, as opposed to HD galvanized. I don't believe Faber uses bright silver as a painted color.

As far as the Vindicator hand wheels, these are always optional, and have to be specified when order is placed.

The tank in the middle, does however appear, to be a smaller dia. than the two on the outside, did you order it as a 3AA HP 100?

Also, preparation for 100% oxygen service, needed when shops are performing partial pressure NITROX fills, is a shop service, performed at additional cost, and also has to be requested when purchased.

We need to see photos of the ID stampings.

Rose.

OK. I didn’t know the tank markings would showing when it is hot dip galvanized.
AE7173E2-CA8C-4B56-84F9-45AFFCD53BEF.jpeg
3608765A-B67A-49A2-A517-F99C6E8DABCC.jpeg
819301F5-8030-4558-A488-1E3218078CA2.jpeg
A02A51D5-B5CE-48F2-8130-5512E350F6C9.jpeg
F26B566E-D399-48AA-A921-3656EDDA072D.jpeg
0C4670E1-6818-4A4D-B7AB-C971FC2937AE.jpeg

The new one appears to be a Faber FX HDG from the "Italy" and 3442 stampings (can't make out much else).
The old ones appear larger in diameter and 3442s.
If all are Faber HP FX series, then I would think the old ones might be 8" FX117s and the new one a 7.25" FX100

The "Vindicator" handwheel is an option that you (or your shop) can add. I've seen some distributors use a valve with the indicator knob, but not all. Doesn't mean the tank itself is any different.

FX100s HDG - no Vindicator
Blue Steel Faber FX Series HP Steel Scuba Tank Hot Dip Galvanized
High Pressure Steel Cylinders - Hot Dip Galvanized

Typing and researching and I'm late to the party ...
Manufacture date of November 2020 for the "new" tank. HP100 is pretty obvious.

How about stamping on the old ones?

Paul,

The tank is a galvanized HP 100, hydro date is 11/20

The ID stampings do not indicate, HD Gal, but the appearance surely does.

3442 PSI working pressure, 5250 PSI hydro static test pressure, DOT, and TC (Transport Canada) certificates. SN 176.

Let's see the ID stamping on the other two.

Rose.

They will not let you know what the coating is but by knowing what the tank is we can infer that it is hot dipped galvanized based on how the manufacturer coats their tanks. Yes, Faber tanks are hot dipped galvanized and the finish will become dull over time.

The new tank does look thinner in the picture, but I measured the circumference and it seems to be the same, thank goodness! If it's hot dip galvanized, that's good; it just looked different and given the other issue with the order I wondered if I got the wrong thing. Just gotta get the valve handle issue fixed, now, as I like the color thing. Thanks, all!

Rose, I hope you get away from that octopus!

As per @-JD-

The HP100 is shorter and smaller diameter than the other two, that would may guess that the other two are 133s
upload_2021-4-17_14-29-3.png

Show us a picture of your other tanks like the one above for your HP 100, that gives the capacity, then we'll know for sure

Back
Top Bottom