GUE - What is their standard for what is in pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
What is GUE's standard on what goes in what pockets? I understand there is a safety pocket and a utility pocket. I thought I understood what went in what but after watch a GUE YouTube vid I may have been mistaken.

If this has been spoken of already please point the way. I did a search before asking and found nothing.

Hi
You already know the base line: safety-utility.
Now, why don't you just think about it on your own and decide according to YOUR diving?
It is good to know about standards but it is better to make your own choices.
Nothing is exclusive.

Hi
You already know the base line: safety-utility.
Now, why don't you just think about it on your own and decide according to YOUR diving?
It is good to know about standards but it is better to make your own choices.
Nothing is exclusive.

Nothing is exclusive and ofcourse during the predive check you tell others what is in what pocket, but if everyone does the same it’s easier when you need help.

Safety right is very common because if you need a backup you can reach it without having stages in its way.

Standard was on my last course:
Safety right:
Wetnotes
Backupmask
Safetyspool (caves)
Towcord (Scooter, Caves)

Utility Left:
SMB
Spool (SMB)
Spools (Caves)
Pig-tail (Caves)
Catch-net
Whatever you think you are going to need on the dive

I agree with take what you need and I appreciate all the reply's.

I have been running my setup the opposite of @lmla. My left was my safety and my right was my utility. This is where I think I was confused.

My reverse setup was from a class a long time ago when I first started to dive dry... Should have known.

I kept thinking that safety right made sense because of the bottles in the way and felt my setup was not correct and I was correct... after diving wrong all this time.

Now to clean up my act :wink:

What is GUE's standard on what goes in what pockets? I understand there is a safety pocket and a utility pocket. I thought I understood what went in what but after watch a GUE YouTube vid I may have been mistaken.

Yes, we're taught that safety is on the right because of clear access to the right side.

Having said that, a couple of my things are opposite of Imla's as well.

Most people probably do have the SMB and spool in the left utility pocket, but I see that as safety, so I have it in the right pocket, and the right is my dominant hand.
When I did a GUE EDGE including equipment check with my GUE instructor and a Tech 2/Cave 2 mentor, the mentor asked the instructor if I should move the SMB/spool to my left pocket, since the purpose on that dive was utility for skills practice. The GUE instructor said it was fine as is. Of course, we all knew where it was since we were identifying what was in each pocket.
I want easy access in case I need to quickly deploy an SMB for some reason, so it stays in my right pocket.

My wetnotes are in the left pocket, and I've written down u/w measurements more than anything else. My pockets are a little small though, and just fit better with a backup mask and wetnotes on the left.

I recognize that if I was carrying all the things that a Cave 2/Tech 2 diver was carrying, things might be prioritized differently (as Imla was taught), so there's validity to keeping it the same throughout your diving career.

You have to figure out what works for you.

Originally the right pocket was small and only held wet notes. That was for a probably unnecessary streamlining reason since prop wash is on that side. Once it became a larger pocket one reason it was safety items is because to use any of those things you are coming off the trigger and stopping- spare mask, safety spool, spare primary, etc . Left pocket is for general stuff used during the dive that you may grab before coming off the trigger.

If you are asking for the GUE answer you should keep it consistent. Yes it is less critical for open water swim dives but everything is intended to scale without changing.

Where do tools fall into the safety vs utility world?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom