Dive computer battery and o-ring spec's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the later models used two 2032 batteries. Mine uses a J battery and it is a Datamax Pro, circa 1997. My Data Max Sport I purchased new i 1993 has the "non-user replaceable battery". This is not shown in the manual available online from Oceanic but is it is mentioned in the manual that earlier models had non-user replaceable batteries.

John

IMG_20210417_103002368.jpg
IMG_20210417_103047214.jpg
Here is a phot of the J battery in a Datamax Pro. I believe Oceanic may have inserted an adaptor to use the 2032 batteries.

While we are O-ring size and replacement, has anyone every replaced the button O-rings on any of the early Oceanic puck, or Datmax computers?

I believe the later models used two 2032 batteries. Mine uses a J battery and it is a Datamax Pro, circa 1997. My Data Max Sport I purchased new i 1993 has the "non-user replaceable battery". This is not shown in the manual available online from Oceanic but is it is mentioned in the manual that earlier models had non-user replaceable batteries.

John
The earliest oceanic webpages I can find on the Wayback machine that have the DataMax Pro info are from June 1998, where it says the battery hatch o-ring is oceanic P/N 2.023. Searching Oceanic for that part number, it is the same as the Data Plus battery hatch o-ring, which uses 2x2032, not a J cell.

It appears the U.S. Divers Scan 4 computer is the same as yours, and uses the same battery. Kits of o-ring plus battery are available on eBay and Amazon.
Battery Kit: AquaLung U.S. Divers Scan 4 Dive Computer | eBay
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-AquaLung-U-S-Divers-Computer/dp/B0721LCFQ5

I believe a AS568-141, D70 is likely the correct size. A -142 might also work. While a -143 would exactly match the case dimensions I suspect it will likely be too large. I will get a couple of each later this week and try them.

Cross reference to MS28775-141.

Aircraft Spruce carries the MS O-rings with a 15 year shelf life for less than $2 each.

John

I believe a AS568-141, D70 is likely the correct size. A -142 might also work. While a -143 would exactly match the case dimensions I suspect it will likely be too large. I will get a couple of each later this week and try them.

Cross reference to MS28775-141.

Aircraft Spruce carries the MS O-rings with a 15 year shelf life for less than $2 each.

John

-141 seals have a pretty large cross section. Better double check that one. If the ID is correct you probably need something like a -035 or -036

Couv,

Yes, a -141 is a 3/32 cross section. I was a bit surprised to find this large of a cross section O-ring in the computer. The existing O-ring is a 3/32 C.S. and the O-ring groove looks to be designed for a 3/32 O-ring. The depth of the groove pretty much precludes using a smaller cross section.

I am headed out the door now for work. When I get back in a couple of days I will pick up the O-rings I ordered and see how they look.

I'll post an update one way or the other. Hopefully we will have a new data point for the computer O-ring chart.
By the way, have you or anyone else reading this ever replaced any of the button O-rings on some of these old dive computers? It seems like it might be a good preventative step. I just hate to reinvent the wheel, and risk damaging a working computer, if someone else has already figured it out. I looks pretty straight forward. but of course there can always be unexpected complications.

John

Looking forward to your update.

By the way, have you or anyone else reading this ever replaced any of the button O-rings on some of these old dive computers? It seems like it might be a good preventative step. I just hate to reinvent the wheel, and risk damaging a working computer, if someone else has already figured it out. I looks pretty straight forward. but of course there can always be unexpected complications. John

I have not replaced any button o-rings. Now that you mention it, because they are dynamic it would seem they would be more prone to failure than the battery door seal. However, I've not seen one fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom