Problem with foggy masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many answers and all are correct. I haven't read all the posts so I will give my advices according to my personal experiences.
- First clean the mask with abrasive tooth paste. If it does not work try few more times.
I had a mask that needed extensive cleaning so I used the special kind of soap that the mechanics use to wash their hands. The one that give you the feeling that it contains sand dust. Do not over scrap in order to avoid scratching the masks glass.
- Always clean the mask when you return home with water and soap. It helps a lot on your next dive.
- A couple of minutes before I wore my mask, I spit on the glass and rub it. Clean it just before the first use. You can replace this by rubbing the glass with a piece of potato. This is one of the most effective methods if you can carry a potato and cut it the last moment. I thing it is the starch that does the job.
- When reachable, in shallow waters or on rocks I use seaweed or other similar sea floral and rub the glass.
- Finally, before wearing the mask, cool your face down by put it in the water for some logical time. If your face is hot (our normal temperature) the water from your face evaporates faster and deposited on the cool glass.

used the special kind of soap that the mechanics use to wash their hands
Sounds like Cherry Bomb or Gojo. Has pumice so don't scratch too hard.

Alternatively 200 Vis works great roo

What's happening is that your new-ish mask comes from the factory with a light film of silicone coating the interior glass. You can either burn it off with a lighter (not for the faint of heart) or use toothpaste. It needs to be toothPASTE, not gel-based toothpaste. You know, the white old-school kind. I recommend trying toothpaste first. You'll want to put some in the mask, spread it around and really grind it in there really good -- then let it dry for an hour or so. Rinse it out really well, then repeat this process 2-3 more times. Make sure you let it dry and sit for a while between 'pastings'. Once it's all done, use regular old baby shampoo before each dive - just a drop or so on each side of the mask, rub it around, and do a QUICK rinse in the bucket on the boat (or dip it over the side if you're in a low boat... careful that you don't lose your mask though). Be sure you only do a QUICK rinse - you're just trying to get the bulk of the soap off, but you don't want to get it all off because that defeats the purpose. The whole thing is that you're adding a slight film of soap to break the cohesion the fog has with the mask. No soap = fog. Too much soap = blurry. Quick rinse (maybe dunk it once or twice) = perfect.

If you want to try the lighter method, here's a link. How to Prep Your New Scuba Diving Mask with a Lighter
Haha..I watched a Video the other Day of this newby Guy,doing a first test on a Home Built Hookah.He was hocking up big Luggys and spitting them into his "Googles",and not rinsing.you could see them plastered inside,when he looked at his Go-Pro.

Check out Whitetip Ocean Mist Defog! The newest spray defog on the market that provides amazing results, comes in 5 fun ocean-themed colors, and helps with shark conservation! whitetip.online

I use this and it works really well.
Clarifii: Water Repellent and Anti Fog Lens Accessory for GoPro | DSLR | Drone | Prevent Water Drops Ruining Footage While Surfing, Wake Boarding, Swimming, and Snorkeling. Must Have GoPro Accessory

Reactions: Dan
I use this and it works really well.
Clarifii: Water Repellent and Anti Fog Lens Accessory for GoPro | DSLR | Drone | Prevent Water Drops Ruining Footage While Surfing, Wake Boarding, Swimming, and Snorkeling. Must Have GoPro Accessory
I just ordered it. I’ll give it a try on my GoPro.😜

Ok. But it really shines in the mask.
I won’t use it for the mask. I want it for my GoPro.

I’m really really happy with the cheapo Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo after flaming the silicone off my mask. It really works for me for 15 years. If it ain’t broke, don't fix it.

I've never had a mask fog since I started using baby shampoo (smear on, wipe 'til clear)-- that was maybe 805 dives ago. Including the second dive of the day (no need to add more shampoo) and Nova Scotia water, which is for sure as cold as Finland (can be close to freezing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom