Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two dives: one in Carmel at North Monastery; the second, at San Carlos Beach, just for the dozens of sea lions, fooling around.

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother getting wet for a few days.

Due to an ongoing plankton bloom, the visibility at both sites, was two, to three meters at best (Carmel, near the splash rock) -- and lime green with a bit of a swell; but the rafts of floating and barking sea lions, in Monterey, were great fun and didn't seem to mind my presence too much . . .

Two dives: one in Carmel at North Monastery; the second, at San Carlos Beach, just for the dozens of sea lions, fooling around.

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother getting wet for a few days.

Due to an ongoing plankton bloom, the visibility at both sites, was two, to three meters at best (Carmel, near the splash rock) -- and lime green with a bit of a swell; but the rafts of floating and barking sea lions, in Monterey, were great fun and didn't seem to mind my presence too much . . .
Ugh, I am going down for a weekend the next Friday, hope it has cleared somewhat by then. Wanted to try my first night dive, would not choose to do it in poor vis. Thanks for the report.

Pt Lobos was a mixed bag yesterday - insanely calm but viz was meh, beautiful topside conditions but fuh-reezing water. Viz got better as we went deeper than 70ft which worked out well for us as our plan was for a dive to Beto's Reef. I always like going there! Lots of stuff to see even when it's not super clear. We hadn't been here in a while so it was nice to be close to the cove and just float around the reef.
GPTempDownload.jpg GPTempDownload (2).jpg GPTempDownload (3).jpg GPTempDownload (1).jpg
-> 63min, 106ft max, 63ft avg, 20-30ft viz, 47F water temp

As per usual, photos taken by my dive buddy.

Went for my first two night dives at Breakwater last night. Viz was about 5 m / 15 ft. Pretty choppy for Breakwater with the wind waves whipping across the peninsula. There’s a small-craft advisory tonight and tomorrow afternoon. We kept pretty shallow, 15 m / 50 ft. Saw a red octopus, several rainbow nudibranchs, little baby sand dabs skipping over the tops of the sand dollars, tons of nudi eggs, and these really cool translucent shrimp larvae. It was fun, and nice not to have to fight for parking. I don’t have water temp or time or depth because my computer is packed away at the moment..

Technically this is still conditions, the wind was 15 mph minimum all night and into the morning, 6-8 ft. / 2-2.5 m swells, I could see the whitecaps out in the bay. As someone prone to seasickness, even with a patch, and ginger, and bonine, and no spicy food or alcohol 24 hours before, I was pretty sure I would not enjoy being out there on a single-hulled boat. So I thumbed the dives from the comfort of the Lone Oak. So I can report that Soberanes Point just south of Point Lobos is a wonderful place to scamper up a hill and see the whitecaps.

I was camping in Monterey this weekend and after seeing the conditions, I too decided to just sit on the beach, eat fried calamari, and drink beer.:cheers: Maybe try again in a few weeks.
I hate to waste a trip as much as the next person, but it is supposed to be recreational diving. I salute anyone who is able to enjoy themselves when it’s”sporty”.

I got out my computer and the water temperature was between 12 and 13 C / 55 F.

There were three folks from Reef Check at Lovers Point on Saturday. Doing something with the urchin cull test grid and doing maintenance on the temperature sensors. Wish that info was available live.

Two at Breakwater today. First dive was about 10ft vis. A bunch of Nudibranchs.. A ton of Sea Lions were sleeping fins up at the 7 marker. Second dive was 15 plus minus vis. Water temp 50. Both dives were along the wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom