Coffee on dive trips and liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally get it. On occasion, I have brought ground coffee and my Vietnamese coffee maker. It's all metal so won't break in my luggage. Cost about $1 (in Vietnam) and makes a mean cup of coffee. I can't do instant anymore...lol.
phin-on-mug__82968.1469039343.1200.1200.jpg

I totally get it. On occasion, I have brought ground coffee and my Vietnamese coffee maker. It's all metal so won't break in my luggage. Cost about $1 (in Vietnam) and makes a mean cup of coffee. I can't do instant anymore...lol.
View attachment 654315

That is very cool, I like it! wonder how it compares to my beloved French Press style?

That is very cool, I like it! wonder how it compares to my beloved French Press style?

For french press you can either get a stainless steel french press (so it's indestructible) or an aero press. If I had to choose I would go for the aero press, easier to use, easier to cleanup, smaller footprint. You can also try all kinds of different "recipes", but you'll still need a good grinder of some sort.

https://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Co...ld=1&keywords=aeropress&qid=1618843882&sr=8-2

I supplement with energy drinks or cold coffee beverages (canned/bottled) when I can't get access to coffee. At some point it becomes more about avoiding the inevitable caffeine headache than it does getting access to a decent brew. :)

For french press you can either get a stainless steel french press (so it's indestructible) or an aero press. If I had to choose I would go for the aero press, easier to use, easier to cleanup, smaller footprint. You can also try all kinds of different "recipes", but you'll still need a good grinder of some sort.

https://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Co...ld=1&keywords=aeropress&qid=1618843882&sr=8-2

Wow, that is interesting - never heard of an aero press. We have a stainless steel French press at home, 32oz, but I wouldn't want to bring it on a trip.

I supplement with energy drinks or cold coffee beverages (canned/bottled) when I can't get access to coffee. At some point it becomes more about avoiding the inevitable caffeine headache than it does getting access to a decent brew. :)

Agreed. I went on a cruise with a girlfriend a couple years back, while I was in my coffee "ban" timeframe, and really didn't miss it to be honest. I have a preworkout caffeinated powder I use in the mornings, and you just mix a scoop with a little water and done. However, I do enjoy my coffee now that I have found a French Press

Agreed. I went on a cruise with a girlfriend a couple years back, while I was in my coffee "ban" timeframe, and really didn't miss it to be honest. I have a preworkout caffeinated powder I use in the mornings, and you just mix a scoop with a little water and done. However, I do enjoy my coffee now that I have found a French Press
Agreed...nothing quite like a decent cup of coffee. I have a travel french press (basically a french press plunger in a mug) that I picked up from REI years ago and I have used that in a pinch if I can get to hot water and have ground coffee on me. If no hot water then I grab a Monster, Doubleshot, cold brew thing or whatever has caffeine in it that said country has on hand in whatever store I can figure out how to shop in.

Anyone else a coffee snob out there? A

What does everyone do on trips? Drink whatever is available?

I am one of those that also hate keurig coffee. I do not drink my coffee black but I do not like it overly sweet either. The only thing you're going to get on a trip unless you have access to a coffee house s cheap coffee with sugar and pure sugar creamers. On a trip, I can survive for a week with the cheap coffee but since i am a competitive athlete, I bring my own splendas and I bring an unopened sugar free coffeemate powder creamer. It keeps my coffee diet and virtually calorie and carb free.

I love good coffee, and I hope you people who are bringing these brewing contraptions to liveaboards and resorts continue to do so, so that the liveaboards and resorts can get a clue that good coffee is increasingly important to us pampered foreigners. :) If they were to offer espresso at the same sort of additional cost that they offer alcoholic beverages it might work out well for them.

+1 AeroPress

It's cheap, indestructible and lightweight. Immersion brewing so extraction characteristics virtually identical to French press. It's not as fiddly as pourover. Easy to fine tune extraction by changing the dose or water temp or bloom time or steep time, etc.. To avoid bringing a grinder I grind enough for my trip into a Ziplock bag. If I grind whole beans that are 1 week from the roast date, the ground coffee can last 1 week (maybe 2?) and still be acceptably fresh. Personally I brew using the inverted method, but lots of techniques online to experiment with.

Back
Top Bottom