Apeks RK3 vs SP Nova sea wings vs Mares X-stream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried it....I need work at it but there are no pools here that allow use of fins

I hate saying this but if frog kicking doesn't help splits or force might be the way to go. Atomic makes good splits. I have not tried force.

Just realize splits make frog, helicopter more difficult and back just will not happen.

Reactions: OTF
Another rec for Force Fins. Your probably want the originals, not the Pros. They are expensive, but are basically indestructible so a used pair would work.

If Mares still makes Volos, they would work. Low effort and reasonably efficient with flutter kick.

Mares Avanti Superchannel or Mares Excite, both great fins to Minimized leg fatigue.
I have the Excite Pro , but they are a little stiffer , almost neutral until I put steel springs on them.

Thank you for the great explanations and video!

If you have not already purchased new fins, take a look at the Apollo Bio fins. I use the Bio Pro with spring straps, and they are very easy on the joints, and are rubber (pretty indestructible). They are heavy, and negatively buoyant, which are negatives for me, but they really move you through the water. Some divers can frog kick with them, but that particular kick is hard on my replacement knee joints, so I flutter kick.

I hate saying this but if frog kicking doesn't help splits or force might be the way to go. Atomic makes good splits. I have not tried force.

Just realize splits make frog, helicopter more difficult and back just will not happen.

I've seen it done reliably. My intro to cave course was done with two other students one of them a navy diver, showed up with split fins. He had no problem whatsoever so ever doing back-kicks in split-fins

I have a set of split fins given to me when I bought some 2nd hand gear, I have this idea of leaving them on top my car when at the next dive site [and someone will take them], now if I was to do that, I not am sure I would find another pair of splits with them.
The start of a split fin grave yard.
Can't give them away.
On topic:
The Apeks RK3 are my 'go to' at the moment, still like the Mares Excite Pros.
Can do all the kicks with the RK3s [back kick is still ugly], now for a long swim, the Mares for sure.
Would love to try the Mares X Stream Bob is talking about above, do I need a new set of fins ? Nah.

I bought the Mares X-Stream and Force Fin Pro's to try out. I have a WIDE foot and the foot pocket of the Force fins causes quite a bit of discomfort even with thinner boots....I tried 7mm, 5mm and 3mm....was a no go....will be selling them...I literally used them in the pool for 30 minutes....I took the Mares X-Stream to Key Largo with me and they were GREAT for me....I was able to keep up, swim against the mild/moderate current and no knee, calf, leg or back pain. They were not easy for me to frog kick with....other than that I am thrilled with them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom