Body recovered - Miri-Sibuti Coral Reefs National Park, Borneo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Miri-Sibuti Coral Reefs National Park is over 300 miles from Talang Satang National Park mentioned in another thread started today.

Body of diver found floating at dive site in national park in Miri | Borneo Post Online
MIRI (April 19): The body of a 35-year-old diver was found floating at a dive site in the Miri-Sibuti Coral Reefs National Park yesterday.

District police chief ACP Hakemal Hawari said the body of Ling Beng Wei, 34, from Sibu was located by the other divers at the dive site.

“The victim went diving with 25 other people at noon. The first dive lasted for almost an hour and all went up to the surface.

“The second dive was conducted a few minutes after the first one and about five minutes later, the water had gone rough and all the divers managed to get on a boat except for the victim,” Hakemal told The Borneo Post when contacted.

He said a search was conducted and the victim was found floating at the dive site.

“The body was later brought back to the surface and sent to Miri Hospital for an autopsy,” he added.

Condolences to her family & friends.

“The second dive was conducted a few minutes after the first one and about five minutes later, the water had gone rough and all the divers managed to get on a boat except for the victim,” Hakemal told The Borneo Post when contacted.”

That sounds like a short surface interval. I wonder if down current is common in that dive site.

That sounds like a short surface interval.
Or ill informed reporting.

Does not make any sense to conduct a second dive few minutes after the first one.
An air hog on nitrox could, depending on other variables. I'd guess that these were tourists diving air without computers, and the reporter just didn't know how to describe the surface interval, in English at that.
Or ill informed reporting.

Does not make any sense to conduct a second dive few minutes after the first one.

Depends, I've done it before, but it's not a normal evolution, probably poor reporting.

An air hog on nitrox could, depending on other variables. I'd guess that these were tourists diving air without computers, and the reporter just didn't know how to describe the surface interval, in English at that.

Malaysia's health ministry calls for ban on Eid travel amid surge in COVID-19 cases | Reuters

Interstate travelling is still banned.
International travelling is more or less non existence in Malaysia at the moment.
I believe those divers are from Miri.
25 of them and none of them have computer or knew anything about surface interval? How about the dive guide or the boat crew?

Depends, I've done it before, but it's not a normal evolution, probably poor reporting.

Poor reporting most likely "a few minutes" SI after an hour-long dive only makes sense if it's really shallow, and even then I would want to take a bit longer to warm up and so on before jumping back in.

“The victim went diving with 25 other people at noon. The first dive lasted for almost an hour and all went up to the surface.

“The second dive was conducted a few minutes after the first one and about five minutes later, the water had gone rough and all the divers managed to get on a boat except for the victim,”

Poor reporting most likely "a few minutes" SI after an hour-long dive only makes sense if it's really shallow, and even then I would want to take a bit longer to warm up and so on before jumping back in.

I’ve done it to beat tides, if I wasn’t out of the water in time, the diving turned to crap fast. It’s not usual, but a few more minutes is better than nothing.

The other times the swim in and swim out was the SI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom