Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read that they are doing 1000 vaccination a day now. If that is the case they should get most of the island fully vaccinated by end of May!

There are a bit over 11K people registered, 10.5K with their first shot, 3.5K with both shots. We need about 5K more to sign up and are only getting a bit over a 100 a day.

Given the island’s population of ~21,000, this seems like the best recent news:

View attachment 653929
They are actually quoting about 19K residents. Under Dutch law, they cannot force anyone to get vaccinated. However, the government CAN maintain the unpleasant state of strong lockdown (currently "phase 5"), and they have stated they intend to maintain some version of that until 85% of the population has been vaccinated. Hey, no pressure! They are estimating June 1 to hit that target.

Update:
upload_2021-4-19_12-54-16.png

All signs are good, including Positivity and vaccination rates (see post #290). The challenge now is to get 85% of the population vaccinated. We'll know in 6 weeks.
Current lockdown is Phase 5, plus a curfew. No boat dives. Need to drop to Phase 4 or lower. Next announcement probably in a week or a week and a half.

Meanwhile, still no US flights going directly to Bonaire. AA says they are starting from MIA May 8, but they said the same thing for April and then cancelled. DL says June 5 from ATL; UA says November 8 from EWR and IAH, but they may change their minds and start earlier.

Testing for entry (if you try and use the Aruba/Curacao routes) still problematic; see post #266 where it says:
A note on the current testing requirement to enter Bonaire (details at Q&A's reizigers - Crisiswebsite van het Openbaar Lichaam Bonaire):
You can show a PCR test (taken less than 72h before arrival in Bonaire) AND an antigen test (taken less than 24h before departure for Bonaire)
-- or --
You can show a NAAT test (includes PCR, RT-PCR, and some others, but NOT antigen) taken less than 24h before departure for Bonaire..​
To these entry requirements for Bonaire you may also need to satisfy satisfy entry requirements for Aruba or Curacao.

Bonaire Hotel and Tourism Association calling for allowing those who are fully vaccinated in, but that is the call of the Netherlands, not of Bonaire.

Expect lots of changes by June 1!

NAAT test "taken less than 24h before departure to Bonaire." I take this to mean 24 hours prior to departure from home airport regardless of how many layovers and how long it takes to get to Bonaire....or does it really mean 24 hours prior to arrival on Bonaire?

NAAT test "taken less than 24h before departure to Bonaire." I take this to mean 24 hours prior to departure from home airport regardless of how many layovers and how long it takes to get to Bonaire....or does it really mean 24 hours prior to arrival on Bonaire?
It says and means 24h before departure for Bonaire, but you can't stop along the way except for connections. Ideally, you'd do a quick test at whatever final airport you are flying directly to Bonaire from, but this is not always possible. See Q&A's reizigers - Crisiswebsite van het Openbaar Lichaam Bonaire and various discussions on Bonaire Expats and Visitors COVID-19 Discussion.

I monitor the crisis website almost daily.....earlier, there were questions as to whether saying prior to departure actually meant prior to departure or prior to arrival...this website said one thing and info Bonaire said something else as I recall....

There is onsite NAAT (PCR) testing at the Cincinnati airport now—35-minute result for $200(!) per.

I monitor the crisis website almost daily.....earlier, there were questions as to whether saying prior to departure actually meant prior to departure or prior to arrival...this website said one thing and info Bonaire said something else as I recall....
Having fun with an evolving issue and unmoderated social media sites?
The only official word is BonaireCrisis.com and its Facebook clone. InfoBonaire.com is remarkably accurate and does not publish guesses or speculation.
The FB page I linked earlier Bonaire Expats and Visitors COVID-19 Discussion is moderated and junk is taken off and speculation is called out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom