Perdix AI and bluetooth...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive given up using my laptop to connect. I dont blame Shearwater though - I blame windows and pc makers for installing shoddy BT boards etc. Via my Iphone 11 it works like a charm. Yes updating takes 20mins +/- but it works, works flawlessly and every time. Im good with that as I would never have my laptop out on a dive boat but my phone is always with me so Im happy.

If you have PC connection issues, just use your phone or tablet - their BT implementation is 10000x better due to their BT heavy environment they are designed to work in.

Ive given up using my laptop to connect. I dont blame Shearwater though - I blame windows and pc makers for installing shoddy BT boards etc. Via my Iphone 11 it works like a charm.
Makes sense. I normally download dives to my phone. I don’t use Windows outside of my work computer anymore, but I did initially have a similar problem with my MacBook. I then tried a little experiment using different versions of SW Cloud for Mac. Some versions would just not connect, some wouldn’t launch. I’ve since updated my 2012 MacBook to Catalina and haven’t had an issue since.

So, in my case, it seemed to be an incompatibility issue between the OS version and the app version, and not necessarily a hardware issue.

Ive given up using my laptop to connect. I dont blame Shearwater though - I blame windows and pc makers for installing shoddy BT boards etc. Via my Iphone 11 it works like a charm. Yes updating takes 20mins +/- but it works, works flawlessly and every time. Im good with that as I would never have my laptop out on a dive boat but my phone is always with me so Im happy.

If you have PC connection issues, just use your phone or tablet - their BT implementation is 10000x better due to their BT heavy environment they are designed to work in.

I found that simply removing the device and re-adding it worked for me

also, bluetooth dongles are finicky

most times you literally need line of sight between perdix/dongle

If my perdix is more than a foot away, it will not connect

have you tried using the shearwater dongle?

I really like my perdix in every way except the bluetooth technology. It's so finicky and slow. I can't imagine what people go through after a week long trip on say a liveaboard. Do you just get it transferring and go to bed? A 2 hour dive can take 6, 7, 8+ minutes to transfer?

****before you trash me I'll say it again, I love my perdix, lol.

Coming from a D6 Excursion I'm a little lost as to why that BT is so much more stable with that? And I really liked how you connect a phone to the Excursion and go through all the setting and change things while connected. The perdix has easy menus and it's not hard to navigate, but it would be worlds easier if there was a UI on your phone that you could move everything around with (change dive #'s, settings, etc). Maybe I'm reaching for the stars, but try changing the settings on an Excursion through your phone and tell me that's not the cats meow:)

I have had issues connecting, but haven't found a Windows 10 PC that I haven't been able to connect to, it just takes a few tries.

And just in case you didn't see this;

10 dives at about 50 mins each takes about 4 to 7 minutes by bluetooth

this is with data sampling every two minutes

how have you set yours, Rob?

I would imagine I have my sampling rate turned up higher, but again, comparing it to the D6 Excursion, that was also turned up high.

I don't remember the different options were. Out of curiosity, what does the data every 2 minutes track, depth, air, temp? Wouldn't having a higher sampling rate give you a better underwater "picture"?

thats why I switched from 10 seconds down to 2 seconds
While I enjoy more data, I wanted my dive unit to store as many logged dives

now in retrospect, I never browse through logs on the perdix - I use Shearwater or Subsurface on my desktop or mobile phone

I think I'll increase from 10 seconds to 5 seconds sampling

from v65 release notes:

NEW FEATURE (All models): Log sampling rate can be set to 2, 5, or 10 seconds (previously always 10 seconds). Note that log downloads may take longer with faster sampling rates as more data is being recorded. Also, less logs can be stored until they are overwritten. For example, about 1000 hours are stored at a 10 second rate, but only 200 hours at a 2 second rate. NOTE: When downloading to legacy log software (e.g. old Shearwater Desktop or third-party programs) the dive computer will down convert the log to a 10 second rate for backwards compatibility. Downloading at faster rates requires using Shearwater Cloud v2.2.2 or higher. Thirdparties may offer download and display of the faster rates in the future.

thats why I switched from 10 seconds down to 2 seconds
While I enjoy more data, I wanted my dive unit to store as many logged dives

now in retrospect, I never browse through logs on the perdix - I use Shearwater or Subsurface on my desktop or mobile phone

I think I'll increase from 10 seconds to 5 seconds sampling

from v65 release notes:

NEW FEATURE (All models): Log sampling rate can be set to 2, 5, or 10 seconds (previously always 10 seconds). Note that log downloads may take longer with faster sampling rates as more data is being recorded. Also, less logs can be stored until they are overwritten. For example, about 1000 hours are stored at a 10 second rate, but only 200 hours at a 2 second rate. NOTE: When downloading to legacy log software (e.g. old Shearwater Desktop or third-party programs) the dive computer will down convert the log to a 10 second rate for backwards compatibility. Downloading at faster rates requires using Shearwater Cloud v2.2.2 or higher. Thirdparties may offer download and display of the faster rates in the future.

I understand. I couldn't remember what the options were for sampling. I believe the D6 is set @ 2s, transfer speeds are lightning fast compared to the perdix. My perdix is set @ 2s (I think). I don't care about battery life or logged dives as I download them all. I don't need to see them on my perdix. I don't think there would be a huge difference between 5s and 2s looking at a graph.

Still would be nice to be able to change the UI, settings, etc through a bluetooth app. And I still don't understand why other DC are lightning fast at downloads and the perdix is intermittent and slow.

Again, everything else about the perdix blows everything else I've seen away, so it's a small complaint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom