Alternative weight pockets for Hydros Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am over 70 and also have a 'gimpy' shoulder [and other 'bits'] :cool:, if you are weighted right it will not [should not] be a problem.
Edit: It is because of 'gimpy' bits above, I like the Hydros Pro, easy on and off.
Gimp, Google: US and Canadian offensive, slang a physically disabled person.
OK, I get it, I see the funny side.

Since I am describing myself as a gimp due to cancer treatment limiting the strength and range of motion in my shoulder, I am not offended. I would not describe anyone else by that name.

Tossing out an option that might work on the Hydros that is low-profile, minimal dry-weight, decent (more than most will need) capacity, zipper-loadable and quick-dumpable. For pro or con depending on your use, they do not require inner pouches. I've used them on my own rig without using the plate-attachments, but MacGuyvering a webbing loop to stabilize them and was very happy with them. Mine are now on my son's rig as I'm using OMS combo weight/utility pockets, but will likely pick up another set as I'm moving to a more distributed storage model.

Zip Touch Weight System
519-WS120%20Zip%20Touch%20weight%20system%2003.jpg

Very similar to what I’ve got. Hope it is useful for other divers looking for an alternative. Thanks for your post.

I think your pockets are mounted upside down...been using the older version of those pockets for a bunch of years and to my knowledge the handles should point up when mounted vertically, but to each their own I guess.

-Z

I think your pockets are mounted upside down...been using the older version of those pockets for a bunch of years and to my knowledge the handles should point up when mounted vertically, but to each their own I guess.

-Z

No they aren’t. They were mounted that way by a tech diver (male) so one pull and they are out. I’m going to try them like that and if I decide to switch it’s a simple fix. I’m curious as to why you felt you needed to point that out.

No they aren’t. They were mounted that way by a tech diver (male) so one pull and they are out. I’m going to try them like that and if I decide to switch it’s a simple fix. I’m curious as to why you felt you needed to point that out.

Because:
I have 4 divers in my household and we all have the Dive Rite QB weight pockets mounted on our back plates harnesses. I have yet to see anyone with the pockets mounted the way you have yours, and have not seen pictures of it set up that way either. Obviously they "can be" mounted that way but I don't believe they were designed to be. I am not sure what a male tech diver setting them up that way has anything to do with anything.

Here is a video of Lamar Hires, the founder of Dive Rite and their President and CEO showing how the older 16lbs version of the pockets are supposed to be mounted. At the 1:00 mark in the video he shows the vertical mounting.

You might find that when those are new that the quick release buckles hold securely but after some use you might find that mounted upside down as you have them that you may be prone to lose a pocket when jumping in the water.

Good luck with however you decide to use your gear.

-Z

2:19 in this one : Showing it upright.

Reactions: Zef
Because:
I have 4 divers in my household and we all have the Dive Rite QB weight pockets mounted on our back plates harnesses. I have yet to see anyone with the pockets mounted the way you have yours, and have not seen pictures of it set up that way either. Obviously they "can be" mounted that way but I don't believe they were designed to be. I am not sure what a male tech diver setting them up that way has anything to do with anything.

Here is a video of Lamar Hires, the founder of Dive Rite and their President and CEO showing how the older 16lbs version of the pockets are supposed to be mounted. At the 1:00 mark in the video he shows the vertical mounting.

You might find that when those are new that the quick release buckles hold securely but after some use you might find that mounted upside down as you have them that you may be prone to lose a pocket when jumping in the water.

Good luck with however you decide to use your gear.

-Z

Thank you for the explanation and for letting me know that they loosen up with use. I watched the video and with what you have said about them loosening up, I will change them.

As far as male tech setting them up, I asked about putting them the other way but he assured me that having them release downward was the way to go. It was very hard for me to pull them out and he said that would make it easier. I’d rather not risk them falling out.

Thank you for the explanation and for letting me know that they loosen up with use. I watched the video and with what you have said about them loosening up, I will change them.

As far as male tech setting them up, I asked about putting them the other way but he assured me that having them release downward was the way to go. It was very hard for me to pull them out and he said that would make it easier. I’d rather not risk them falling out.

I'm confused as to why some divers using the HP are not using the trim pockets.

I'm still with my Ladyhawk but always use weights in the trim pockets and would love to get to a point that I needn't load anything into the weight pockets. While that's not likely to happen in a Ladyhawk, is there any possibility of it in the HP?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom