Solo diver missing - Pulau satang island, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it would matter. I think that they are under-prepared, under-equipped and untrained

Without wanting to go off topic, that could apply to many country's CG and SAR outside of North America and Europe.

I know from a local incident two years ago none of the local CG or navy divers was qualified to dive below 30m!

1. She allegedly jumped in around 16:20 for a dive supposed to last no more than 30mins.
2. They started searching after more than an hr when she did not surface!
3. They also reported hearing whistling early on but could not tell where it came from!

Both 2 and 3 are very odd especially (3). Who would be blowing whistle in such a remote place?

1. She allegedly jumped in around 16:20 for a dive supposed to last no more than 30mins.
2. They started searching after more than an hr when she did not surface!
3. They also reported hearing whistling early on but could not tell where it came from!

Both 2 and 3 are very odd especially (3). Who would be blowing whistle in such a remote place?
Adding to the oddity, one of the early news reports of the incident wrote:
"大家也有听到氧气桶耗尽的鸣声,无奈就是找不到确实的无置,惟有马上返回码头并在晚上8时许抵达码头后,拨电向相关拯救单位求助。"

Google translate (Centrals see if the translation's accurate?) - "Everyone also heard the sound of exhausted oxygen tanks, but they couldn't find the exact place. They only returned to the dock immediately and arrived at the dock at 8 o'clock in the evening. They called the relevant rescue unit for help."

... which leads me to wonder whether she actually used a whistle, or improvised one by blowing her tank out.

Adding to the oddity, one of the early news reports of the incident wrote:
"大家也有听到氧气桶耗尽的鸣声,无奈就是找不到确实的无置,惟有马上返回码头并在晚上8时许抵达码头后,拨电向相关拯救单位求助。"

Google translate (Centrals see if the translation's accurate?) - "Everyone also heard the sound of exhausted oxygen tanks, but they couldn't find the exact place. They only returned to the dock immediately and arrived at the dock at 8 o'clock in the evening. They called the relevant rescue unit for help."

... which leads me to wonder whether she actually used a whistle, or improvised one by blowing her tank out.
1. Nothing wrong with the translation. To discharge the tank to draw attention is smart indeed!
2. Could not locate the source on the surface is difficult to comprehend.
3. I thought the other brother(Brandon) at home(?) received a call at 19:00 and then seek help.

Family of missing diver Karen Chong worried about her safety | Borneo Post Online

1. Nothing wrong with the translation. To discharge the tank to draw attention is smart indeed!
2. Could not locate the source on the surface is difficult to comprehend.
3. I thought the other brother(Brandon) at home(?) received a call at 19:00 and then seek help.
1/2. If it's a discharged tank, maybe it's hard to identify where it comes from when it's far away, since it's like white noise.
3. It's possible that they alerted the brother before reaching the jetty, if mobile reception became strong enough to send SMSes on their way back.

https://news.seehua.com/?p=689080
According to this report they were diving around Pulau Satang(Big or Small ?) and not miles from no where.
That's inaccurate, the coordinates on the S&R whiteboard showed a spot miles from nowhere and "23nm north of Pulau Satang".

1/2. If it's a discharged tank, maybe it's hard to identify where it comes from when it's far away, since it's like white noise.
3. It's possible that they alerted the brother before reaching the jetty, if mobile reception became strong enough to send SMSes on their way back.

That's inaccurate, the coordinates on the S&R whiteboard showed a spot miles from nowhere and "23nm north of Pulau Satang".
1. Sound can only travel in one direction above water. If they could hear it then she should not be too far away.
2. I was referring to the original chinese text that you quoted.

I could only translate what was reported on that newspaper(news.seehua) about where the group was diving.

Back
Top Bottom