Useful life of HP and LP hoses; identifying manufacturing date; quality differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Diving Dubai if they are saying 2 year storage on tires and 5 years service life for where you are, I'd go for that as max.

In the US our tire recommendation is 6 years, and most places won't service any over 10 which shows the accelerated aging in your location. 6 years is CYOA, 10 years is probably a good time to replace.

On rubber hoses it's probably prudent to follow those limits as they use fairly similar construction. The braided use different materials and are subject to different aging rates which we know to be faster and more catastrophic. I'll continue to use rubber hoses and replace as they start leaking....

While I would melt at those temperatures, they are not really much of a challenge for a hose. How often do you swap hoses on your car? The ones jammed under the hood carrying high temperature fluids...

I have a (very little) bit of sympathy for the fins issue. On our last trip one of the divers offered to donate their battered fins to the LOB - the dive master took a quick look and said no - the diver had less than 100 dives on them. Cheap product was the issue. The diver chose poorly at purchase time.

Our chemists have come a long way. It is simple to make things that are heat and UV resistant. It is cheaper to make things that are not...
Here is some interesting bedtime reading (which will surely put most of us to sleep...)

Predicting the life of hydraulic hose
How to manage hydraulic hose lifetime more efficiently and effectively
Designing Hydraulic Hoses for Extreme Conditions

if I had to do 5 year replacement I'd be in for the following

3x 22" HP hose
3x 22" reg hose
2x 84" reg hose
3x drysuit LPI
8x 9" HP hose
1x 108" reg hose
7x 40" reg hose

I have 1x singles rig, 1x doubles rig, 1x double hose, 1x sidemount, 4x stage bottles, 2x deco bottles.
27 hoses, average $25 each, with tax and shipping, call it $700 every 5 years in hoses. HELL NO!

Reviving this thread from 4 years ago.
How long do rubber HP and reg hose last, and how often do you replace them?
No set time for me , it is around the 5 year mark or there about [when I think of it, more like]. I see 5 year , but what do most of you do?
Did a search on this site and found this from 2017.

Reviving this thread from 4 years ago.
How long to rubber HP and reg hose last, and how often do you replace them?
No set time for me , it is around the 5 year mark or there about [when I think of it, more like]. I see 5 year , but what do most of you do?
Did a search on this site and found this from 2017.

I replace them when they show signs of starting to fail, usually bubbles or cracks on the jacket.

I replace them when they show signs of starting to fail, usually bubbles or cracks on the jacket.

The same here. Rubber hoses last a long time. I have hose in service that are 50 years old and they look as good new.

And I've got the other ones Luis H doesn't have

full.jpg

Man, you never stop surprising me. To quote you, "magnificent".
Only found one hose older than 5 years, and that was hidden away in a milk crate in the garage.
I do not keep old rubber hoses, old brass and chrome, that's another story, and again, you win in that department as well.:acclaim:
And I've got the other ones Luis H doesn't have

View attachment 654569

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 3.40.03 PM.png

I typically only replace hoses when they fail, which has always been upon that initial pressurization, in my experience; and almost exclusively LP hoses. I have never had -- knock on wood -- any in-water issues, over thousands of dives; and have some hoses, still in use, which are probably decades-old.

That said, some manufacturers, such as Poseidon, recommend replacing hoses, every five to six years, and advise consumers to look for tell-tale signs of wear, as the excerpted manual suggests . . .

Back
Top Bottom