Indonesia: Bali set to welcome tourists in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have preferred that the old and vulnerable people in Indonesia would have received the vaccines before the young and healthy working in tourism would have gotten the shots.

That reminds me of the approach taken in the U.S.; priority was given to the elderly on the grounds they were most vulnerable, and health care workers - on the grounds they were high risk for exposure, engaged in essential occupations and in a position to transmit it to others, including vulnerable people. But then other people engaged in occupations deemed essential were also prioritized.

Unfortunately in many countries the people do not have access to the mRNA vaccines. Anyway, until there are more peer reviewed studies it is much safer if everybody assume they can still be infected and transmit.

From a strict infectious disease standpoint, that is true. But is it safest economically for a society that needs to get money coming in? Yes, a resurgence of some vaccine-bypassing variant is a potential economic risk, but how long can large sections of economies be put on hold waiting for the situation to look 'safe enough' to suit everybody?

I don't pretend to have the answers to these hard questions. In my mind, I see a cartoonist's picture of a bunch of destitute people sitting around a shanty town, dated 2023, and one guy says to the next 'Well, at least COVID-19 didn't get us.' But you could follow up with tomb stones in a graveyard in the background, with a thought balloon from one grave saying 'Well, good for you, buddy!'

According the this POST, Indonesia is planning to reopen Bali province to foreign tourists in July, according to an official Friday.

Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and Investment Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan said the government will also prepare a travel corridor, or travel bubble, with other countries to boost tourism arrivals.

“We have to set up the same parameters to establish reciprocal travel bubbles with other countries,” Luhut said at a virtual news conference for the 2021 Bali Investment Forum.

Indonesia: Bali set to welcome tourists in July
“There are about 3 million of 4.3 million people that need to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity, according to Wayan.

“However, so far, only around 300,000 people in Bali have received the COVID-19 vaccine,” he said.”

That’s only 7% of population in Bali have been vaccinated. And they expect to open Bali by July? Yeah, right!

That reminds me of the approach taken in the U.S.; priority was given to the elderly on the grounds they were most vulnerable, and health care workers - on the grounds they were high risk for exposure, engaged in essential occupations and in a position to transmit it to others, including vulnerable people. But then other people engaged in occupations deemed essential were also prioritized.

From a strict infectious disease standpoint, that is true. But is it safest economically for a society that needs to get money coming in? Yes, a resurgence of some vaccine-bypassing variant is a potential economic risk, but how long can large sections of economies be put on hold waiting for the situation to look 'safe enough' to suit everybody?

I don't pretend to have the answers to these hard questions. In my mind, I see a cartoonist's picture of a bunch of destitute people sitting around a shanty town, dated 2023, and one guy says to the next 'Well, at least COVID-19 didn't get us.' But you could follow up with tomb stones in a graveyard in the background, with a thought balloon from one grave saying 'Well, good for you, buddy!'
I do not have the answers either, nor am I a prophet. But I would not be surprised if international tourism to Indonesia would return to the numbers of the period 2005/2010. I see that many of our former employees at North Sulawesi and Halmahera found jobs in other industries. And domestic tourism is very promising for the coming years. Bali is of course a special case, but with or without a pandemic, it seemed unsustainable to me. This was an extreme rude wake up call. Keep in mind that on national level tourism is not such a large contributor to the economy.

Thanks for the info. Still hopeful......
No diving in Phuket until 30th Apr.
The best time to dive the West coast of the Kingdom is from Nov onward. So plenty of time to plan your trip.
Read what is required to enter to Thailand now so you can prepare for yourself.
Thailand has approved several vaccines so find it out and act accordingly. Make sure you have proper record(official) of your vaccination to prove.

Bali has a population of over 4m while Phuket has around 450,000. So it will take a lot less time for Phuket to achieve the "herd immunity" for the folks on the island.

Thailand to postpone Phuket reopening to vaccinated travellers if herd immunity not achieved
They are talking 01st Jul and I am talking mid Nov onward.

Most Maldivians have been vaccinated. So that is one reason why they are open for tourism.
I know that but we are talking 4.4m in Bali.
Maldives has slightly more people than Phuket so I am quite confidence that the Island should be able to achieve the "herd immunity" well before Bali.

“There are about 3 million of 4.3 million people that need to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity, according to Wayan.

“However, so far, only around 300,000 people in Bali have received the COVID-19 vaccine,” he said.”

That’s only 7% of population in Bali have been vaccinated. And they expect to open Bali by July? Yeah, right!
Can somebody explain how you can get herd immunity if the vaccine offers 75% protection? Would you not have to vaccinate 100% of the population then? And how to get herd immunity if (a part of) the vaccinated people still can be infected and transmit the virus? I understand that the people who have been infected before might have some immunity. But nothing is known for sure yet how long this would last and in how far it will protects against the new variants.

The answer has been available for so long but still so many ignorant around.

What does vaccine efficacy mean?

75% protection does not mean 25% useless!!!!!!!!!! LOL.
Thse are the latest data from Chili:
China's Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine was 67% effective in preventing symptomatic infection, data from a huge real-world study in Chile has shown, a potential boost for the jab which has come under scrutiny over its level of protection against the virus.

The CoronaVac vaccine was 85% effective in preventing hospitalizations and 80% effective in preventing deaths, the Chilean government said in a report, adding that the data should prove a "game changer" from the vaccine more widely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom