Atomic Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m no engineer but
20-25 ft-lb is pretty standard for most all yoke and DIN connections.

100 in-lb is typical for HP compartment seals

35-70 in-lb is common for turret connector bolts

Lots of manuals to check here:
Regulator Manuals

As of my 2019 seminar, the latest service procedures document from Atomic was 2005 and specifies 21 ft-lb.
The latest schematic was dated 2014 and specifies 21 ft-lb.

Note also that lubricating threads can increase axial load by 40% or more compared with the same torque on an unlubricated thread. Atomic implies through an "unless otherwise indicated" statement that yoke and DIN bolt threads are to be lightly lubricated.

33ft-lb on a dry thread would probably be close to equivalent load, even if no longer recommended.

Lots of threads here where folks have commented on loose first stage connections where a pressurized reg has been twisted on a tank, and an undertorqued bolt came loose. 21ft-lb is not excessive in this setting.

20-25 ft-lb is pretty standard for most all yoke and DIN connections.

100 in-lb is typical for HP compartment seals

35-70 in-lb is common for turret connector bolts

Lots of manuals to check here:
Regulator Manuals

The latest service procedures document from Atomic is 2005 and specifies 21 ft-lb.
The latest schematic is dated 2014 and specifies 21 ft-lb.

Note also that lubricating threads can increase axial load by 40% or more compared with the same torque on an unlubricated thread. Atomic implies through an "unless otherwise indicated" statement that yoke and DIN bolt threads are to be lightly lubricated.

33ft-lb on a dry thread would probably be close to equivalent load, even if no longer recommended.

Lots of threads here where folks have commented on loose first stage connections where a pressurized reg has been twisted on a tank, and an undertorqued bolt came loose. 21ft-lb is not excessive in this setting.

This seems to be conformation at 21 ft lbs.

Don’t take offense but may I ask where you got torque figures ?

Above (post 3 or 4) is a document stating 21 FT lbs. both seem extremely high to me especially when my torque wrench does not go above 240 inch pounds or 20 FT pounds. I’m no engineer but am familiar enough with a torque wrench I would have guessed far less and would have believed 120 in lbs/ 10 ft lbs.
From this:
ATOMIC AQUATICS FIRST AND SECOND STAGE REGULATORS MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES • 9/2003

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom