Next step for longer bottom times on deep dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my classes through NAUI which were the following certs:

Technical EANx Diver
Decompression Techniques Diver

(basically AN/DP)

I have not completed Helitrox......

If your budget permits, get a rebreather. Of course take the necessary baby steps (dec proc, adv nitrox) first, but forget OC trimix with today's helium prices.

VR

Roland

But the difference will be minimal, you need to move up if you want to hit 45+ min bottom time at 100-130ft. You can do this without trimix if you don't have major nitrogen narcosis issues.

Why would trimix help if there are NOT major nitrogen narcosis issues?

EDIT: Sorry, I first read "with" instead of "without"... too much work has this effect on me :)

If your budget permits, get a rebreather. Of course take the necessary baby steps (dec proc, adv nitrox) first, but forget OC trimix with today's helium prices.

VR

Roland

I love my rebreather, but I don't think that the OP should get one just because they can afford it.

I do agree that not many people are doing deep diving with OC trimix. But just remember that some agencies suggest it always be added below a certain relatively shallow depth (e.g. over 100 feet), so not quite as expensive in that situation. Their thinking is that the degradation of skills with narcosis may be subtle but also critical. You don't have to be completely out of it to suffer some effect of an elevated PPN2.

It amazes me how maximum gas density is ignored. I guess folks know more about decompression than Dr. Simon Mitchell.

It amazes me how maximum gas density is ignored. I guess folks know more about decompression than Dr. Simon Mitchell.

The safety factor of helium seems to be ignored. One SB instructor commented in a recent thread that you should only bother with it if it’s available, you can afford it, and one last thing (dives that will require it?). It’s a safety thing and I’ll pay the ridiculous cost here.

And I agree with @doctormike - if the OP can afford a CCR, that’s not the only reason to get one. Some divers don’t want the maintenance (me- I like simple and low maintenance). Others aren’t OCD enough for the checklists and such. Others simply don’t pay enough attention to stuff

I don't understand this, in the context of the OP's question. Can you elaborate?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom