I want to be fit & trim - but HATE exercising!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just quit drinking sugared soda drinks. Not fancy, but it does work over time. 15# over 6 months with no other changes.

OH MY GOSH!!! Wasn't sure if linking your account you would show up or not. So good to "See" you here!!!! How the heck are you???

Weight Watchers has changed a lot over the years. You still count points, but it's in an app. There is a total number of points per day you strive for.. Good news is there are a lot of 0 point foods, and no restrictions on what to eat. It's all up to the individual how to spend those points. I know how many points a shot of rum, a glass of wine, light beer, premium beer has..
It's all about enjoying life, Jenny, and more important, the long term habits. Indulging yourself occasionally is perfectly fine, so long as you do not do so with a perception of guilt. That in itself triggers the autonomic nervous system to respond in an unfavorable way. Have fun!

Coach Izzy

First of all I want to agree with you that I don’t like working out much either. Also that’s a great song. Something that helps me to move every day is the Peloton app. I got my wife the bike last year, and so I use it some too. The app though is cool because it has a bunch of different exercises from walking outdoors to pilates to meditation etc.I have to move every day so I don’t lose the momentum of working out and then stopping completely, but the app gives me options so I’m not having to do hard cardio every day.

Weight loss is 20% in the gym and 80% in the kitchen
You need to find what works for you, but its not all about weight loss. To keep diving, you need to maintain strength and flexibility. Also some weight training is important to prevent osteoporosis as well as the potential injury form hoisting the bag into the overhead, or climbing up the boat ladder.
Best chance for success is if you find people to exercise with who share your interests.
You can do it.

My daughter dropped over 50# in the last 1.5 years of the COVID lockdown. Eat less, eat less carbs/sugars, eat on a schedule (no late dinners), modest routine exercise (she does both swimming and weights)...

I've found lockdown great for losing weight once I committed. So few temptations... I've been doing similar to your daughter - very low carb, relatively high protein. I haven't done the scheduled eating or regular exercises.

Now that friends who cook (amazing and delicious) are inviting me over again, it's looking to get more challenging! But my goal is to stay on my diet until my next birthday and then try to maintain from there.

It was initially COVID concerns that got me going. I was eligible for accommodations to teach remotely based on my weight. I realized I really didn't want to be remote... if there were going to be kids in the building, I wanted to be there too. So I thought I'd try to lose the weight.

Well sadly there never ended up being kids in the building (technically yes, but not actual classes with real interaction), but I'm really enjoying being more svelte.

Amen and hell yeah! I also do not experience a workout buzz. Best I ever got was a few times in my life when, after running pretty much daily for several months and hating every minute of it, I gradually began to hate it a little less.

I started re-reading this thread this morning and saw this - made me snort!!! Maybe the best we can do is 'hate it a little less' and still commit to doing it. :)

Later that afternoon they rescanned all the recruits. Those that had eaten the meal as a soup still had quite full stomachs whereas those that had eaten the meal as solids with a drink were nearly empty. This was apparently because with the soup it took the body longer to process the contents, so they stayed fuller for longer.

This is SO interesting - and now I have more questions (which is what makes it so interesting). Would it be as effective to simply keep sipping water throughout a meal? I've noticed that I feel full after a cup of coffee - often I feel more full than if I'd had food. Hmmmmm. Thanks for giving me something to ponder.

CICO (Calories In / Calories Out) is really the only way. You have to count calories of everything you consume and then weigh yourself every day. If your weight is not trending downward over time you have to reduce your daily calorie intake. For whatever reason, exercise is about 4x less effective at losing weight than reducing food. Maybe because one can eat in 5 minutes what it takes 3 hours to burn off in exercise. Losing weight for me has been the most difficult thing in my life because the pleasure of eating tasty foods really is how I cope with stress. Also exercise becomes much easier and more enjoyable when weight is reduced.

I got one of the good under desk ellipticals earlier this week. Desk Cycle is the brand. Only available on Amazon. I think I like it better than the under desk bike. Use it in front of the TV or while reading. Seems a bit easier on my knees than the bike. I can work up a good sweat. Meant to be used sitting down. The stand up elliptical at the gym hurt my sciatica something awful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom