Next step for longer bottom times on deep dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do not nessarily need to enter the tech world. Here in Europe recreational divers are usually trained to "light deco" rec diving.
This means not exceeding 50m depth and going sligthly beyond the NDL, so that you need something as 20 min max of deco stops, which are usually done on "back gas".
Here the standard back tank is 15 liters at 232 bars, which is plenty enough for such light deco profiles.
Of course some redundancy is always advisable. The minimum is two independent regs using a tank with two valves.
Better instead to use a pony tank.
Even better a compact twin (8+8 liters at 232 bar, or 10+10 at 200 bar).
All this is still considered fully recreational here, and is included in normal third level training (that is certifications coming after advanced open water).
In my personal opinion, these light deco dives are much safer than dives "just within" NDL.
A light deco dive is planned and executed with a proper amount of gas, with some redundancy, and with tools for facilitating proper deco stops (such as bars hanging below the boat at 6 and 3 m).
Instead a dive "just within NDL" is usally executed with a single small tank, no redundancy and no support for deco stops. When **** happens, you are suddenly beyond NDL, without all these additional safety measures. This requires a mandatory deco stop, but instead of being a planned, safe stop, you are in an emergency situation...
So I think that before stepping up in the world of tech diving, you should evaluate the possibility of staying in the rec diving world, simply getting the training and the equipment for doing some reasonable amount of deco.
I was always fully satisfied of this and I never felt the need of going tech...

Ypu do net nessarily enter the tech world. Here in Europevrecreational divers are usually trained to "light deco" rec diving.
This means not exceeding 50m depth and going sligthly beyond the NDL, so that you need something as 20 min max of deco stops, which are isually done on "back gas".

That's pretty much what I've been doing lately. Nothing more than 10 minutes DECO obligation.

Sweet, I've always considered .myself a bit of a deviant.

In this case though, since the far majority of the dives we're discussing are done on air or nitrox and historically have been, the " deviants " are those who seem to lack the intellectual abilities at depth to dive like the rest of the world and need helium to do so. No shame but I certainly would be thumping my chest about this inability.

The answer to " what color are trimix bubbles ? " is koolaid colored <130' OR
" How do know if someone is diving a helium blend within recreational limits? "" Don't worry, they'll tell you "

I never said that he should get a rebreather just because he can afford it.

"If your budget permits, get a rebreather."

If he wants longer bottom times, less deco obligation than the CCR is the way to go.

I think that he just said that he wanted longer bottom times. AN/DP with OC would be fine for that.

Eventually he would end up diving one anyways, so why not save the time/cost of OC trimix and get the right tool for the job.

Why do you assume that someone whose original request was to spend more time on wrecks in the 90-130 foot range would eventually end up on CCR?

Sweet, I've always considered .myself a bit of a deviant.

In this case though, since the far majority of the dives we're discussing are done on air or nitrox and historically have been, the " deviants " are those who seem to lack the intellectual abilities at depth to dive like the rest of the world and need helium to do so. No shame but I certainly would be thumping my chest about this inability.

The answer to " what color are trimix bubbles ? " is koolaid colored <130' OR
" How do know if someone is diving a helium blend within recreational limits? "" Don't worry, they'll tell you "

You’re saying people are stupid (“lack intellectual abilities”) because they get narced, want to dive deeper safely, and so use helium?

THAT has got to be one of the most stupid things I’ve ever read here, and I’ve read a lot of stupid crap. So are we going to we into a purse swinging contest about it?

Just another reason for my belief that some male divers suffer from testosterone poisoning and so stupid sh*t as a result.

I’m not a Stepford Diver, far from it. Kool-Aid? Hah.

You’re saying people are stupid (“lack intellectual abilities”) because they get narced, want to dive deeper safely, and so use helium?

THAT has got to be one of the most stupid things I’ve ever read here, and I’ve read a lot of stupid crap. So are we going to we into a purse swinging contest about it?

Just another reason for my belief that some male divers suffer from testosterone poisoning and so stupid sh*t as a result.

I’m not a Stepford Diver, far from it. Kool-Aid? Hah.
Oh Marie, don’t you know some people know so much better then researchers like Dr. Mitchell? Puh-lease!

Oh Marie, don’t you know some people know so much better then researchers like Dr. Mitchell? Puh-lease!

C'mon, stop with the name checking, that's the third time. I respect Simon Mitchell more than almost anyone else in diving. Not only is he brilliant, he's a mensch and has helped me personally on several occasions when I reached out to him, and I'm a nobody.

But are you implying that anyone who doesn't dive Trimix at130 feet is ignorant? Hard to figure out the message, but that's what it sounds like...

My testosterone poisoning has only led to doing awesome sh*t that less poisoned people can only dream of.

To actually say something not off topic; I think the OP should do AN/DP with helitrox. If you want to use helium, go for it, if you don't, no big deal. 130' is my limit without helium. After 130' its Tx and the rebreather for me. I get a decent deal on Helium but it's still too damn much to be using on OC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom