Taking Open Water course for the 2nd time....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the IST ProEar
Using that seems like an iffy idea, given a chance that you lose its seal at depth.

Taking it to class should raise the issue with your instructor though. And discussing clearing with your instructor and getting coaching from them is a good idea.

According to the instructions since the squeeze is equalized the same as your mask it should not affect the pressure if it floods under pressure. That is just what the literature said.

Those have been around for years. So, that does seem to indicate that it does what it says it does. I don’t know how you would even wear that with a hood, let alone do a mask removal/recovery with it. I assume the ears would need to be cleared of water as well. Might want to practice that in a pool without a hood or anything to make sure you have it down. It looks to be a bit more complicated than doing the skill with a standard mask.

If it works for you, that’s great news.

They make a special hood for the mask. I hope they let me use it as I will not be able to dive with my ears without it.
I have a good 30 mins of being in the water before they start to hurt. I did try clearing the mask it. It was tough, but i learned I need to pinch the tubes to clear the mask. Although to clear the ear cups, I hold the mask and the other ear cup to my head and blow. After that it will clear. I know some ppl thinks these are a big hoax but it works for me.

They make a special hood for the mask. I hope they let me use it as I will not be able to dive with my ears without it.
I have a good 30 mins of being in the water before they start to hurt. I did try clearing the mask it. It was tough, but i learned I need to pinch the tubes to clear the mask. Although to clear the ear cups, I hold the mask and the other ear cup to my head and blow. After that it will clear. I know some ppl thinks these are a big hoax but it works for me.
I've seen quite some people who used them. As an instructor I would not have a problem with it at all, as long as you can deal with them if they flood or you have to take them off for a minute

Thanks! I will find out tonight, just not sure what to tell them so they don’t make me get a dr clearance letter

when water hits my ears I can only stand having it happen for about 30 mins before they start hurting. Dont know if I should tell the dive instructor that.
As a general rule, Yes, tell the instructor. Otherwise there is no way for them to help.
On the other hand, very little of what you say makes any sense...
Can you describe what you mean by "hurt" after 30 mins?

Hmmm, it's starting to sound as though you can equalize, and your problem is something else. Something to do with (cold?) water irritating your ears?

If this mask works for you, awesome. Still might be worth a little more digging to find the exact source of the problem.

A dive buddy of ours uses the ProEar mask for keeping his ears dry as he is prone to ear infections and keeping the water out helps. It works well for him but he does not have clearing issues. I agree with Esprise Me that if you can clear in this mask something else may be going on.

I am starting my orientation today. I bought the IST ProEar as a last ditch effort. I am happy to report that it works great! I had not problem equalizing although my mask did get a little fogged up from equalizing with my nose. I just hope the instructors will let me use it, I dont know how I will take it off with a hood and put it back on. I am excited I can actually scuba now. It seems when water hits my ears I can only stand having it happen for about 30 mins before they start hurting. Dont know if I should tell the dive instructor that.
Congratulations on the solution! You should definitely mention that to your instructor. He may be able to help you with it. Maybe not, but communicating is going to lead to the best outcome.

Another equipment assist for equalizing is doc's proplugs: BEST DIVING EARPLUGS | DOC'S PROPLUGS

These don't tie you to a particular mask that may or may not be a good fit. Lots of folks have trouble finding a mask that fits them well. My wife uses the proplugs. Although she can equalize without them, she prefers using the proplugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom