Mexico - Air Travel Exit Process

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cert1967

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
With the online IMG form solved, on to the exit procedure, CZM-USA

Cranky Flier posted an interesting article on his return from MX.

Is the COVID test process the same for exiting CZM to the USA?

How about the QR code?

Anyone used the app Verifly?

Time for test?
  • Long lead time - use the 72 hour time zone
  • Short lead time - day before departure?
Any other excitement for CZM to USA departures?

I thought the Verifly App was useless. I jumped through all the hoops, yet it would not allow me to upload my negative test result. The paper copy of test result was enough. I heard stories about people who followed a three day rule to get tested, only to be turned away from their flight because it exceeded 72 hours. Our only snafu was when I received the results of my test, they had the wrong gender on my result. I emailed them right away and within an hour, it was rectified. We had our test performed 48 hours before departure. My advise is not to wait until the day before just in case there is an issue with the test result i.e. wrong date of birth, gender etc.and needing to get it fixed. We were handed the attestation form at the airport and were good to go. I am scratching my head over the whole US requirement of a Covid test upon return, when some of our states have worse numbers than the places visited.

I thought the Verifly App was useless. I jumped through all the hoops, yet it would not allow me to upload my negative test result. The paper copy of test result was enough. I heard stories about people who followed a three day rule to get tested, only to be turned away from their flight because it exceeded 72 hours. Our only snafu was when I received the results of my test, they had the wrong gender on my result. I emailed them right away and within an hour, it was rectified. We had our test performed 48 hours before departure. My advise is not to wait until the day before just in case there is an issue with the test result i.e. wrong date of birth, gender etc.and needing to get it fixed. We were handed the attestation form at the airport and were good to go. I am scratching my head over the whole US requirement of a Covid test upon return, when some of our states have worse numbers than the places visited.

Completely agree.
AA is (was), pushing the Verifly App. Go to the Play Store and read the reviews.

We flew on United and were able to load the pdf of the results directly into their app/website and that was looked at during check in. No need to show a paper copy. Within a couple of minutes of uploading it we got an email we were approved to fly.....whatever that means. Not sure someone is sitting there checking all the pdf's when they come in or not.....

We got tested a couple days out and got our results within a couple hours. Was pretty seamless.

We got tested three hours before heading to the airport. Not our plan at all. I wanted to get it done 3 days before to maximize time to deal with any issues or get a retest if a false positive or make extended arrangements. Time flies and it's never convenient and it was Easter weekend. It all worked out but I wouldn't plan it that way.

The test timing doesn’t really prevent isolation of infection to the place of origin because of the long 4-5 day latency period between infection and a positive test results. As an example, a work colleague went to Cabo with a school group for a five day senior trip (he was vaccinated but the high school seniors were not). One family decided to get a head start and got tested 72 hours before departure, or two days after they got to Cabo in order to get a head start. Their results were positive and they were put into quarantine at the resort, thus only really enjoying their trip for two days and then extending their trip in quarantine for another week. However, looking at the timing, they most likely were infected in the US and brought it to Mexico with them. My colleagues family tested negative 48 hours before they left and got home okay. As per CDC recommendations, they got tested stateside 3 days after getting back. He was negative because he has been vaccinated. All his kids tested positive. The most likely source, based on test results timing and their social interactions in Cabo was that they were likely infected from their friends who failed quarantine who had been infected before going to Mexico. What they did manage to do was to bring an infection from where they lived to Cabo. As we all live in Michigan, likely the B117 variant.

I heard stories about people who followed a three day rule to get tested, only to be turned away from their flight because it exceeded 72 hours.
The linked article crosses out 72 hours to use 3 days, which confuses me. If I was told 3 days, I'd take that to mean 3 - 24 days or 72 hours, not 3 calendar days.

We got tested three hours before heading to the airport. Not our plan at all. I wanted to get it done 3 days before to maximize time to deal with any issues or get a retest if a false positive or make extended arrangements. Time flies and it's never convenient and it was Easter weekend. It all worked out but I wouldn't plan it that way.
No way I'd risk that. Too many things to go wrong. I'd want to test at least one day prior to flight time if not two. The downside is if you get it done earlier and fail, you get quarantined sooner, but better than just missing the plane.

I'm fully vaccinated, but I understand that I can still test positive even tho not sick. I'm staying masked for the rest of the year. I think that I'll get tested right before leaving to make sure I'm clean to go.

The test timing doesn’t really prevent isolation of infection to the place of origin because of the long 4-5 day latency period between infection and a positive test results. As an example, a work colleague went to Cabo with a school group for a five day senior trip (he was vaccinated but the high school seniors were not). One family decided to get a head start and got tested 72 hours before departure, or two days after they got to Cabo in order to get a head start. Their results were positive and they were put into quarantine at the resort, thus only really enjoying their trip for two days and then extending their trip in quarantine for another week. However, looking at the timing, they most likely were infected in the US and brought it to Mexico with them. My colleagues family tested negative 48 hours before they left and got home okay. As per CDC recommendations, they got tested stateside 3 days after getting back. He was negative because he has been vaccinated. All his kids tested positive. The most likely source, based on test results timing and their social interactions in Cabo was that they were likely infected from their friends who failed quarantine who had been infected before going to Mexico. What they did manage to do was to bring an infection from where they lived to Cabo. As we all live in Michigan, likely the B117 variant.

gee wiz this might be some good examples of why people are not supposed to travel. hmmmm

The linked article crosses out 72 hours to use 3 days, which confuses me. If I was told 3 days, I'd take that to mean 3 - 24 days or 72 hours, not 3 calendar days.

No way I'd risk that. Too many things to go wrong. I'd want to test at least one day prior to flight time if not two. The downside is if you get it done earlier and fail, you get quarantined sooner, but better than just missing the plane.

I'm fully vaccinated, but I understand that I can still test positive even tho not sick. I'm staying masked for the rest of the year. I think that I'll get tested right before leaving to make sure I'm clean to go.

CDC says three days to avoid issues with comparing times. It's just an aribtrary number anyway, a balance between risk reduction and convenience. Nothing magical happens between 72 and 73 hours.

I agree that testing on departure day is too risky. It wasn't our plan but at least it is possible. Both of us are world champion procrastinators. I wasn't too worried about me having covid since I've already had it. I was worried about a false positive test as you can still shed dead viral material for awhile. CDC doesn't require a test if you have a letter of recovery and positive test within 90 days. Well, I had a letter of recovery and a positive test... 91 days earlier. I figured the airline wasn't going to let it slide so I tested again. Negative, thankfully.

I have been to Coz twice since the required COVID test to return. I used the Verifly app both times. The app is poorly written and requires plenty of trial and error to use correctly. We had printed results just in case, but we got right into check-in line just flashing the info from our phone.

Obviously the second trip was much easier, since the app was already installed and basic info stored. We got tested at CostaMed and had the antigen test results back in about an hour. Screen capture the document, drag and drop into Verifly.

Back
Top Bottom