Laminate Drysuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sodden Pixels

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all-Just got my laminate suit. I've done some neoprene dry dives, but laminate is new to me. I intend to take a proper class to prevent reinventing the wheel, but in the mean time I thought I'd have a go at my local lake. A few questions, but first, my kit because I know the variables will have an effect.
Hollis DX300X suit
450gm undergarment
single 80 steel tank
jacket BCD

When I would dive the exact same conditions/location in my 7mm semidry, I was usually with 8-9 lbs of lead. I'm now up to 30 lbs in the laminate and still cant hold buoyancy in 8-10 FFW. I can barely get down and if I add the slightest puff of air to the suit for the squeeze, I'm floating. I've tried putting the lead in my integrated pouches, tried on a belt, tried some pouch and some belt. Is more weight the answer?

Related question #2-At the end of the dive, my undergarment is damp in spots. Not soaking wet but definitely water ingress somewhere. I've double, triple checked the seals. I did not trim the seals. When donning the suit I double, triple check that the seals are lying flat on my neck and wrists. Yes, the zipper is fully closed.
So I was wondering, if there is no air at all in the suit will the ambient water pressure cause a bit of water to seep in through the seals? Once I get the weight sorted and can add air to the suit, will the problem fix itself?
Something completely unrelated?
Thanks for any help.

If you've already had experience with neoprene, you can probably skip the class. Not sure what you'd get out of it unless the instructor teaches you how to repair stuff or something.

in my 7mm semidry, I was usually with 8-9 lbs of lead. I'm now up to 30 lbs in the laminate
You're likely doing something wrong, like adding way too much air. What are you wearing under? Check that the auto-dump is set to mostly open so that air is vented. I'd start by putting my legs down on the surface, draining most of the suit of air, trying to get a minor squeeze there. Add air to the point of tolerability once you're 5-10ft deep.
my undergarment is damp in spots
If the suit isn't brand-new, that could very well be pinhole leaks in trilam. Where are the spots? Systematically find out where the water is coming in at. Dampness near seals isn't absolutely preventable.

If you have no air in the suit you can pull water in but you do have some air in the suit, I assume the 450 under suit is also Hollis, those are dense and will always trap some air. Maybe “wet in certain places” should be more specific.

the thing with lead is you need what you need and if 30 isn’t enough than try more, replacing the jacket b/c will help to know how much suck all of the air out of it and in a pool or bath tub see how much lead it takes to sink it.

damp is normal if you have a non-breathable suit, it is your sweat that is being trapped inside the suit.

you will be able to drop a few pounds once you get more used to the suit and trim out better, but also make sure you burp the suit before you get in the water. can try to switch to a less thick undergarment if you don't need all 450gm of insulation.

If you've already had experience with neoprene, you can probably skip the class. Not sure what you'd get out of it unless the instructor teaches you how to repair stuff or something.

His post clearly shows that he doesn't know what he is doing and missing information on the most critical parts of drysuit use, he NEEDS a proper drysuit course.

I can dive dry with less weight than diving wet, as the buoyant neoprene is no longer present with my Tri-lam dry suit. Be sure you are burping the suit before entering the water and add only enough air to keep you warm.

PADI teaches to use the suit air to control buoyancy and not the BC and I follow this practice because it works for me. This appears someone controversial as others manage with their BC. I find it easier to control buoyancy in one place vs. two.

Be sure you're managing however you're controlling your buoyancy consistently. I've never had an issue using my suit to maintain buoyancy and rolling my shoulder should I get too light to let some air out.

As stated above. Don't get too frisky without some time with an instructor in the water.

ETA: I don't have the link handy, but @rsingler buoyancy spreadsheet may help you estimate your weight requirements.

Thanks all. A bit more info.
Brand new suit.
Yes, Burped the suit when donning.
Can not add ANY air for squeeze or I will float. Trying to get down to 8-10ft with full squeeze.
BCD will be used for buoyancy, not suit (but right now can not add air to either)
Undergarment is an Avatar, poly fleece inside. So yes, some air will probably be trapped.
Dampness is mostly at shoulders to arms, bottom half is dry. Thus thinking it is the seals.
Shoulder valve is mostly (to completely) open.
Yes-legs down, shoulder valve open at surface to drain all of air. but even when down 5+ feet, can not add air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom