Decisions on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing wrong with the Mares Puck Pro. My family has 3 different dive computers -- the Puck Pro, the Aqualung i300, and the Cressi Leonardo. They all work absolutely fine for the basic diving we do.

I started with a basic non-AI computer and upgraded about a year/70ish dives later. I feel like that worked out well for me. I was already keeping track of my air consumption before I upgraded, but I really like seeing it in real time. Turns out it varies pretty dramatically over the course of a dive, often dropping to as low as ~.3 cf/min (same as sitting on the couch for me) during the calmer parts of the dive, and sometimes briefly going as high as 1 cf/min when I'm swimming hard against a current. I can also see the effects of cold on my breathing rate. I feel like knowing that range is more useful for gas planning purposes than just knowing it tends to average out to around .5 cf/min over the course of an entire dive. If you like to geek out on data, you'll probably really like having an AI computer, and if you can afford it now without sacrificing something better, go for it. But if it's a choice between that and doing AOW, I'd vote for the latter. Maybe by the time you've saved up some money again, they'll have an AI Peregrine available.

Read all about RGBM algorithm used on dive computer.
And then compare it with others.
What is the issue with RGBM that some divers could not accept?
As for AI?
What is wrong with spg? A lot cheaper and basically maintenance free.

Oceanic Geo 2 + spg

Nothing wrong with the Mares Puck Pro. My family has 3 different dive computers -- the Puck Pro, the Aqualung i300, and the Cressi Leonardo. They all work absolutely fine for the basic diving we do.
I bought a Leonardo as a backup. I hated it. I hadn't made the leap to Shearwater yet, but relative to my other computers that I had (first was an Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1, then later an Aeris A300 CS). God did I hate that single button.

I think I'd rather pound a rusty nail through both my palms using my forehead as a hammer rather than go from my Shearwaters back to a Leonardo. :p Another analogy might be going from a BMW M5 to a Yugo.

OP, check with whomever you are getting your package from. They should be able to upgrade the package to whatever computer you'd like; no need to sell and buy.
I like AI on my wrist because my wrist is usually in view without any extra effort, so no need to find and view a console.
It seems that spearfisherpeople often go deep, can move around quickly, therefore use air quickly, and so really DO need to keep an eye on their gas.
For safety alone, having your gas on your wrist seems a good idea, regardless of the cost.
You are not in this game to save money.

OP, check with whomever you are getting your package from. They should be able to upgrade the package to whatever computer you'd like; no need to sell and buy.
I like AI on my wrist because my wrist is usually in view without any extra effort, so no need to find and view a console.
It seems that spearfisherpeople often go deep, can move around quickly, therefore use air quickly, and so really DO need to keep an eye on their gas.
For safety alone, having your gas on your wrist seems a good idea, regardless of the cost.
You are not in this game to save money.

tursiops, thank you for the input on AI being beneficial to spear fishing. That fact maybe a good enough reason alone to get AI.

tursiops, thank you for the input on AI being beneficial to spear fishing. That fact maybe a good enough reason alone to get AI.
OK, now wait for all the spearos who want to disagree and say they are invincible and only wimps need to know their gas supply!

LOL, I disagree, but for a different reason. :stirpot: This spearo (well, ex-spearo) would say that any wrist-mounted device will likely take a beating, so it better be tough & cheap. As far as data points go, I would not use my Teric when spearing, but I did use my Mosquito (cheap, entry-level, non-AI) for many years. Before that I used a non-AI computer that was nicely protected in a thick rubber console... well, all but the face, and replaceable, plastic protectors were effective (and needed).

One hardly needs AI to be on top of their air situation. There are plenty of calm periods while spearing/lobstering when a gauge can be checked. OP, I think your money is better put toward things other than AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom