Laminate Drysuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can dive dry with less weight than diving wet, as the buoyant neoprene is no longer present with my Tri-lam dry suit. Be sure you are burping the suit before entering the water and add only enough air to keep you warm.

PADI teaches to use the suit air to control buoyancy and not the BC and I follow this practice because it works for me. This appears someone controversial as others manage with their BC. I find it easier to control buoyancy in one place vs. two.

Be sure you're managing however you're controlling your buoyancy consistently. I've never had an issue using my suit to maintain buoyancy and rolling my shoulder should I get too light to let some air out.

As stated above. Don't get too frisky without some time with an instructor in the water.

ETA: I don't have the link handy, but @rsingler buoyancy spreadsheet may help you estimate your weight requirements.

Would love to see this spreadsheet

For what it's worth, I used to dive 7mm with 14mm on the chest and could comfortably dive with 12 lbs. Sometimes as low as 10. My girlfriend... identical weighting.

I switched to trilaminate drysuit, bp/wing and 200g undergarment. I need 27 lbs. now and will use 29 lbs. in winter to stay a bit warmer.

My gf switched to neoprene drysuit with 200g undergarment (she was already in bp/wing) and she is still diving with only 12 lbs.

To each their own...

already srated drinking beer so i just don't have the time to read every comment. sorry. haha

you said steel 80 ? do you know exactly what type of tank ? lp ? hp ? are you sure it is an 80 ? etc

the two most importantfactors for your weighting will be the type of tank and the undies you wear.

after donning the suit, crouch down and pull away the neck seal to get all the air out of the suit. btw....are they neoprene seals ? i assumed they were latex.

do your weight test like with low tank pressure (aprox 500psi) in shallow water.

i am 5 foot 9, about 180lbs and i use 18lbs diving in canada with a lp steel 77. it is a pretty heavy tank. pretty sure they are the worthingtons.

as far as leaks go....thats a tough one. if it is used....who knows. if it is new obviously you should consult your dealer. are the seals glued on or replaceable ? latex or neoprene ? are the valves screwed tight to the suit ? try closing your exhaust valve all the way. be mindful of where the neck seal sits in relation to your adams apple. this is a coomon bad spot for some people. you said the zip was closed all the way but again, if it is used, a front zip suit will tend to leak at the shoulder.

@rick00001967-nothing wrong with an early start mate!
Thanks for the input. Brand new suit, silicon seals. I hired the tank, but yes, HP steel Fabre (I own same, but purchased them in Australia so no TC/DOT stamp). Burped when donning.
Going to try a thinner undergarment (now 450g) next week. If all goes well, I’ll know that I’ll need more weight with the thicker garment.
Thanks again and if it’s your shout, I’ll have one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom