ATM vagaries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That must be all related to your card other than the bank notes.

I get a fee charged, 30 pesos or something

Currency conversion page still comes up - decline it

One night, got 9000 pesos in 200's.........

I have USAA and I have gotten my fees refunded including the Mexican bank fees, otherwise I'd look at the Schwab option too. Our trip down earlier in the month I took out 8000 pesos from one of the machines and Mega and it gave it to me in 500 notes. Ugh... Ended up working out okay but hated using the big bills for small purchases.

Update: the atm that was free is no longer free. As a test, I withdrew from all three over my stay and got hit with the 34.80 fee. I’m also a BOA customer. It didn’t help.

Did you use DC or CC I did the same thing but tried with Debit Card got no fee on the middle one but other 2 did charge. So tried the middle with CC and yes got a fee. So use the debit.

I have USAA and I have gotten my fees refunded including the Mexican bank fees, otherwise I'd look at the Schwab option too. Our trip down earlier in the month I took out 8000 pesos from one of the machines and Mega and it gave it to me in 500 notes. Ugh... Ended up working out okay but hated using the big bills for small purchases.
True, but those machines have limited capacity so they can store more total currency in 500 Peso notes. Sometimes they run out you know. I've had hometown machines decline cash deposits because they were full.

I use the corner HCSB ATM. If I withdraw during business hours, surely I can go inside and get them broken up. I'd better carry my passport.

At the current exchange rate it's a $25 bill (USD). No big deal, really. 100 pesos = $5.

At the current exchange rate it's a $25 bill (USD). No big deal, really. 100 pesos = $5.
True, but more than I want to leave as a tip for the maid or at breakfast along with some other disbursements.

Did you use DC or CC I did the same thing but tried with Debit Card got no fee on the middle one but other 2 did charge. So tried the middle with CC and yes got a fee. So use the debit.
I used a debit card and was fee’d. Now this exercise was more to satisfy my curiosity. We’re only talking a buck 74

Anyone used a Chase Sapphire ATM card (formerly premier platinum) in Cozumel ATMs?

I've used normal Chase checking ATM cards at the Mega ATMs in years past... but looking for better options.

The ATMs mentioned that charge ~$1.80 per transation seem like a bargain if you have to pay a fee. Just take out max Peso's early in a trip.

500 notes really don't sound like a big deal given that's about $25 US these days... need to find a Dive OP who charges in Pesos :wink:

Anyone used a Chase Sapphire ATM card (formerly premier platinum) in Cozumel ATMs?

I've used normal Chase checking ATM cards at the Mega ATMs in years past... but looking for better options.

The ATMs mentioned that charge ~$1.80 per transation seem like a bargain if you have to pay a fee. Just take out max Peso's early in a trip.

500 notes really don't sound like a big deal given that's about $25 US these days... need to find a Dive OP who charges in Pesos :wink:

Pay your dive op in the currency they ask for - pay for anything in the currency they ask for whether it be pesos or dollars - don't get yourself into taking "their" exchange rate - Mega and Chedraui give good rates but others not so much

Living here makes it easier to deal with the 500's but I nere have a change issue either....

Pay your dive op in the currency they ask for - pay for anything in the currency they ask for whether it be pesos or dollars - don't get yourself into taking "their" exchange rate - Mega and Chedraui give good rates but others not so much

Living here makes it easier to deal with the 500's but I nere have a change issue either....
It's easy enough to check. I pay my dive bill in pesos even though the op posts its price in dollars. They give me the official exchange rate at the time of payment.

It's easy enough to check. I pay my dive bill in pesos even though the op posts its price in dollars. They give me the official exchange rate at the time of payment.
Do you use a card or withdraw enough from ATMs? I know you like to deal with the Coin of the Realm, but I agree with Chuck. If it's sold in USDs, pay with USDs.

I pay my Op with Zelle now. So easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom