Urgent! Have DAN insurance; Generali demanding upfront payment b4 providing medical evacuation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julie T

Registered
Reaction score
San Luis Obispo, California, United States
# of dives
100 - 199
New update 4-25-21 11:24 am: Generali has told Tim that they have arranged a flight for Xander, and they are no longer asking Tim to pre-pay for the flight. They also told him that they are processing a payment for the hospital (as the hospital had told Tim that they have never received payment from DAN in the past, and were going to have to move Xander out of the hospital if they weren't paid). So we're keeping our fingers crossed that the flight actually materializes, and no payment is demanded before boarding.

Update 4-25-21 10:41 am: Generali has referred Tim to a group called GGI to arrange for air evacuation of Xander, theoretically later today. It is still unclear as to whether GGI is going to require out-of-pocket payment upfront from Tim for the medical evacuation from Mexico back to the U.S. As of last communication, Generali was telling Tim that upfront payment would be required. If anyone knows of a way to reach someone higher up in DAN management who might help address this situation, contact info would be much appreciated!!!

Hi - Our son Tim's family went to Baja for a dive trip on April 16, and one of their children - Xander - tested positive for covid-19 on Thursday when they went in for the required test prior to the return flight home. Consequently, Xander cannot fly home as scheduled on April 25.

Before going to Baja, they had purchased DAN Travel Insurance for the entire family. The policy includes $1 million in coverage for "Emergency Assistance and Transportation."

Xander is 11 years and has a number of serious complicating medical conditions, including severe epilepsy. Xander is not a diver, but is covered under the DAN travel insurance policy.

After Xander's positive covid-19 test, Tim contacted DAN for assistance. Among other things, DAN instructed them to take Xander to a private hospital, St. Luke's, in Cabo San Lucas (CSL). The doctors in CSL consulted with Xander's doctors back in Denver CO, and the doctors agreed that Xander's condition is serious and he requires medical evacuation back home in order to receive necessary treatment. Xander has a fever and his CT scan showed signs of development of "covid lung." Because of his pre-existing medical conditions, he is much more vulnerable to covid-19 complications than the average child.

This is where Generali, DAN's partner/subcontractor, comes in. Generali has told Tim that he has to pay them *upfront, out-of-pocket*, for the flight home. They tell Tim that he could then submit the expense documentation to DAN for reimbursement. Tim has had multiple phone calls with DAN and Generali in the past 24 hours, and while DAN agrees that Tim's travel insurance policy with them should cover Xander's medical evacuation, the DAN representative tells Tim, "Generali is in charge of this type of insurance," and essentially that DAN is powerless (isn't Generali bound by the terms of DAN's insurance policy?!?!) and essentially that Tim has to work out the payment issues with Generali. The DAN representative has also told Tim that they themselves have trouble reaching Generali by phone, and therefore are having trouble helping resolve the issue.

So Tim is in the position of being squeezed to pay, out-of-pocket, tens of thousands of dollars to Generali so that his son can be flown back to the U.S. to receive necessary medical treatment. Which should be covered by the DAN travel insurance policy. DAN has not yet given Tim any guarantee in writing that they will reimburse him, if he does in fact pays Generali out-of-pocket upfront for Xander's evacuation home.

Has anyone ever encountered this type of situation with DAN, where they are refusing to take responsibility for paying for a necessary medical evacuation for a client who has purchased travel insurance that states it will cover up to $1 million in "emergency assistance and transportation"?

I called two friends who have both dealt with DAN in the past, one for a dive-related injury last year, and another for a general medical emergency while in Fiji several years ago, which included a medical evacuation flight. Both say that DAN handled all payments directly for medical services and flights, and that no out-of-pocket payments were requested or required. So it appears that what Tim is encountering - being asked to pay out-of-pocket for a necessary medical evacuation - is pretty unheard of?! Is Generali a scam operation?

Additionally, the hospital in CSL (a private hospital that DAN directed Tim to take his son to) has told Tim that DAN has never reimbursed them for any medical services in the past, and for that reason, if they don't receive payment soon (e.g., from either DAN or Tim) they will have to discharge Xander to a local community hospital which doesn't even have oxygen to give its patients. This for a covid-19 patient who is already showing signs of covid-lung.

We keep thinking that the DAN representative that Tim is dealing with must not be well-informed, that surely if Tim could reach the proper person at DAN, that person would arrange for DAN to cover the cost of Xander's flight home. However, Tim has not yet been able to find that person at DAN, despite working constantly on this issue since yesterday.

Will DAN really stick Tim with the cost of flying Xander home, if that's what Generali says Tim needs to do?!

Has anyone out there ever had an experience like this with DAN? With Generali?

Do you have any suggestions, e.g., specific contacts at DAN who can help resolve this situation?

Many thanks!
Julie

Bumping for visibility.

There are very few online posts/stories of people putting DAN insurance to use. That is, getting paid/reimbursed for what DAN insurance should cover. I don't know if there are just very few cases where it is used or if people are reluctant to post, or if it just does not pay off often. My own experience with third-party insurance has been dreadful, so I'm avoiding DAN until I have at least some marginal confidence that they service their customers.

Bumping for visibility.

There are very few online posts/stories of people putting DAN insurance to use. That is, getting paid/reimbursed for what DAN insurance should cover. I don't know if there are just very few cases where it is used or if people are reluctant to post, or if it just does not pay off often. My own experience with third-party insurance has been dreadful, so I'm avoiding DAN until I have at least some marginal confidence that they service their customers.
People usually only post negative stories. This thread is one of the very few complaining about DAN. One should note that DAN is secondary insurance, not primary.

Bumping for visibility.

This is DAN Travel Insurance not DAN Accident Insurance. I’ve heard many examples of DAN Accident Insurance working as advertised and being a Godsend. Travel Insurance is a completely different animal.

This is DAN Travel Insurance not DAN Accident Insurance. I’ve heard many examples of DAN Accident Insurance working as advertised and being a Godsend. Travel Insurance is a completely different animal.
Excellent point. The many good-news stories about DAN are about the Accident insurance.
Very few reports on the Travel insurance, which has just switched to a different company, i.e. Generali. With only a few months experience with this company, there aren't going to be a lot of reports yet. This one is certainly disappointing. I'd try and get DAN management involved, because it is their name that is getting smeared.

Excellent point. The many good-news stories about DAN are about the Accident insurance.
Very few reports on the Travel insurance, which has just switched to a different company, i.e. Generali. With only a few months experience with this company, there aren't going to be a lot of reports yet. This one is certainly disappointing. I'd try and get DAN management involved, because it is their name that is getting smeared.

We would *love* to get DAN management involved! But how do we do that?! We've tried every DAN phone number we can find. We'd *love* to get the attention of someone in a decision-making position at DAN, because we have to think that this is *not* how DAN intended for the travel insurance to work, that there would be a demand for upfront out-of-pocket payment. Any ideas on how to reach DAN management?

Update 4-24-21 10:41 am: Generali has referred Tim to a group called GGI to arrange for air evacuation of Xander, which theoretically will happen later today. It is still unclear as whether GGI is going to ask Tim for out-of-pocket payment upfront for the medical evacuation from Mexico back to the U.S. As of last communication, Generali was still claiming that Tim would have to pay upfront for the flight.

Yes, this is DAN *travel insurance*, not dive insurance. We also had only ever heard positive stories about DAN's dive insurance. So the experience that Tim is having with Generali, evidently DAN's partner for the travel insurance, is shocking. And infuriating.

New update 4-25-21 11:24 am: Generali has told Tim that they have arranged a flight for Xander, and they are no longer asking Tim to pre-pay for the flight. They also told Tim that they are processing a payment for the hospital (as the hospital had told Tim that they have never received payment from DAN in the past, and were going to have to move Xander out of the hospital if they weren't paid). So we're keeping our fingers crossed that the flight actually materializes, and that no payment will be demanded before boarding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom