Getting from Hurghada to Cairo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I booked a flight to Cairo on Lufthansa, which has constantly been cancelling flights and rescheduling me. I do not have the option of flying directly to Hurghada except on a Sunday and my boat leaves on a Saturday.

I assume I need an expensive COVID test to leave the states, even if I am only at the Cairo airport to change planes and fly to Hurghada where I wouldn't need one, since I can't book my last leg through Lufthansa. Anyone know any way around this?

Am I better off waiting until I am in Cairo to buy a ticket to Hurghada? EgyptAir is not known for refunds or flexibility, and in the unlikely event Lufthansa actually gets me to Cairo, it probably won't be on time. But if I wait until I arrive, am I risking being charged more or having flights booked?

The boat operator did give me the option of land transportation, but wants more money than the cost of an airline ticket.

Which month are you planing to fly? If May, can you get into Munich late Friday as there is a Saturday 10:50 flight MUC-HRG. As an alternative, check with Condor for their Germany to HRG flights and see if you can adjust your LH flight accordingly. If you go through FRA you even have a 96h instead of a 72h window for the PCR test.

I am planning on flying in May - this is my 3rd time rebooking the liveaboard and I lost count of how many times I've had to rebook flights. Since Lufthansa refused me a refund, I am stuck booking with them (or losing the cost of the flight).

I could fly to Munich via Lufthansa, but lose almost half the cost of my ticket doing so, and if anything goes wrong, I'd rather end up in Cairo than Munich as last minute ground transportation may still be an option.

Sorry to hear, that does not look good... but with the pandemic going on and travel being reduced, it is not unexpected that flights get canceled or rescheduled.

Are you aware that if you have a connection flight through Germany you will need a negative PCR Test not older than 48h before boarding the flight to Germany, even if you stay airside in transit? See Current Flight Information from Lufthansa.
Saying you don't need a test if you flight directly into HRG is not correct: you will need to take one on arrival, assuming you don't need one for the reason above.
If you are flying directly into Cairo from the US, the timing for the test is 96h before departure. See here or here.
If you fly into Cairo, it will be your entry point into Egypt, and the respective regulations will apply regardless of your final destination being Hurghada.
In relation to the suggestion of @Mod63, keep in mind that you will have to wait for your connection at the airport as hotels in Germany are closed for tourist and a curfew applies between 22:00 and 05:00, even in May.

Do you see an option of choosing another airline for a direct flight and keep your Lufthansa ticket for another opportunity?

A cheap option for CAI - HRG is by Bus with GoBus. The challenge here is that there do not have a stop at the airport, hence you will need a taxi to one of their stops in Cairo City. Total duration, about 8 -9 h, i would guess.

Sorry for not having positive news... maybe another reader will have.

I was not aware, this is a stronger case to pay for the test in the USA. Even if I found a direct flight without a stop in Germany, flights change and I could get rerouted. I am not opposed to taking a COVID test, just would prefer to have it done only in Egypt since it is 10 times the cost to have it done here.

Since I am already more than a year beyond when I planned to travel, I don't plan to draw this out any longer. I don't know how long Lufthansa will keep allowing me to extend this, and I don't know when COVID will be over, although I doubt travel will be normal any time soon.

I assume I need an expensive COVID test to leave the states, even if I am only at the Cairo airport to change planes and fly to Hurghada where I wouldn't need one, since I can't book my last leg through Lufthansa. Anyone know any way around this?

I am not sure you are understanding the entry requirements.
  • All passengers travelling to Egypt (including Egyptians) must be in possession of negative PCR test certificate for COVID-19, taken at a maximum of 72 hours before their flight departure time.
Without a test you are not going to be getting on airplane period. You should also understand your transit points as you may need to clear the local immigration.

You are better off arranging for the test in the USA. Here you know the language and system.

Am I better off waiting until I am in Cairo to buy a ticket to Hurghada? EgyptAir is not known for refunds or flexibility, and in the unlikely event Lufthansa actually gets me to Cairo, it probably won't be on time. But if I wait until I arrive, am I risking being charged more or having flights booked?

Do some research, walk up fares for tomorrow seem to be no more than for next week.

The boat operator did give me the option of land transportation, but wants more money than the cost of an airline ticket.

Probably a private taxi as at this point you probably do not want to be in a bus or a collective.

Me I would fly several days early and enjoy a few days in Cairo. Then if hiccups you have buffer.

I am not sure you are understanding the entry requirements.
  • All passengers travelling to Egypt (including Egyptians) must be in possession of negative PCR test certificate for COVID-19, taken at a maximum of 72 hours before their flight departure time.
Without a test you are not going to be getting on airplane period. You should also understand your transit points as you may need to clear the local immigration.

You are better off arranging for the test in the USA. Here you know the language and system.

Do some research, walk up fares for tomorrow seem to be no more than for next week.

Probably a private taxi as at this point you probably do not want to be in a bus or a collective.

Me I would fly several days early and enjoy a few days in Cairo. Then if hiccups you have buffer.

The entry requirement is 96 hours before a flight for people in the USA, but people going to the Red Sea can skip the test and have it done on arrival for $30 instead of paying $300 in the USA.

How can I research the cost of walk up fares at the Cairo airport without actually going to Cairo?

The entry requirement is 96 hours before a flight for people in the USA, but people going to the Red Sea can skip the test and have it done on arrival for $30 instead of paying $300 in the USA.

Incorrect. You are not flying directly from the USA to Hurghada. You are transiting in Germany or Cairo. If you transit through Germany you need the test ahead of time. If you transit in Cairo you need the test ahead of time. These are the rules the airlines are going to follow: IATA - International Travel Document News.

Lufthansa: Mr. Bvbellomo do you have your negative PCR test?
Mr. Bvbellomo: I am going to Hurghada I can get a test on arrival.
Lufthansa: Mr. Bvbellomo you are transiting in Germany you need negative PCR test for Germany.
Mr. Bvbellomo: But I am just transiting going on to Hurghada.
Lufthansa: Mr. Bvbellomo even to transit in Germany you need negative PCR test.
Mr. Bvbellomo: Oh ...
Lufthansa: Mr. Bvbellomo I am sorry but you can not fly today.
Mr. Bvbellomo: Uber, pick me up at the departures ... not arrivals.

The airlines will follow what is published in Timatic to the T. If there is a question, they will not let you on the plane because the airline is responsible for returning you to the sender which may include a fine from the country that returns you.

Here is another example, one can enter Ecuador if vaccinated. But if transiting through Mexico one needs a negative PCR COVID test for Mexico.

How can I research the cost of walk up fares at the Cairo airport without actually going to Cairo?

One can get an idea of walk fares by visiting the airline's website.

Exactly, I'd save $270 if I found a direct flight from Quito to Hurghada. I don't know every countries rules, and I was hoping posting on this forum would get answers from other travelers going to the Red Sea who found a way to do it. My understanding is Egypt would let me transit through Cairo airport to Hurghada as well, although that is irrelevant if I need to transit through somewhere that doesn't allow me first. From the answers I've gotten, this is not practical or I asked the wrong audience.

Assuming EgyptAir charges me the same price in person they do on the website (not always a valid assumption) buying a ticket when I get to the Cairo airport and flying to Hurghada is definitely the way to go.

[...] My understanding is Egypt would let me transit through Cairo airport to Hurghada as well, [...]
No, they won't. As said before: if you arrive in Cairo, this will be your entry point into Egypt and you will have to have a test before boarding your flight to Cairo. Even if your final destination is Hurghada.
Have a look again at the links mentioned above.

[...] The airlines will follow what is published in Timatic to the T. [...]
In the case of Lufthansa and other airlines flying to Germany, they will follow the rules defined by the German Government re transit through Germany (which have been forwarded to Timatic/IATA indeed).

[...] they will not let you on the plane because the airline is responsible for returning you to the sender which may include a fine from the country that returns you. [...]
That is absolutely correct and often not understood: you have to have all valid documents and be compliant to entry rules of the destination when you are going to board your flight to that destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom