Covid Test for Travel?(Hawaii)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveLaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Our trip to Hawaii is coming up in a couple weeks and i was curious if anyone has gone recently and tested for covid before. We have been fully vaccinated but it does not look like Hawaii is easing restrictions by our trip.

We are in Chicago and leaving on a Wednesday so have to get the test on Sunday morning. We are flying United and was planning on going through United's provider who is ADL Health and its done by mail. However I just found that they deal with UPS only who does not pick up on Sunday for overnight air so would have to be mail out on Monday. This does not leave much time for delivery delays and i am nervous about getting the results back in time. We decided to go through CVS who has dedicated testing for travel to Hawaii and we can make appointments for Sunday morning at a local drive thru cvs.

I just want to see what others have done with the test, what provider they picked, how smooth it went do both getting the results back before your flight and how it went at the airport. Thanks!

I wouldn't trust the PCR or any mail-in turnaround time -- try to find a facility with Rapid Tests. The issue I've found is appointments are only released a few days in advance, so I'd find out when they release and be hitting the Refresh button on my browser to get one like the Ebay sniping days of old. If your CVS allows appointments 6 days out, that's great!

The limited number of providers that are acceptable to the HI government definitely limits people's options. Fortunately for you, CVS is one of them, but they don't all do the Rapid testing. Fingers crossed for you.

I can not help you but I did notice that Hawaii is only accepting the NAAT test. Which is new to me as I am familiar with the RT-PCR which I have seen for most places.

Yes, you can only go to a site that is approved on Hawaii's list. Rapid tests are NOT approved... and you have to get the test no more than 3 days before.

I can not help you but I did notice that Hawaii is only accepting the NAAT test. Which is new to me as I am familiar with the RT-PCR which I have seen for most places.
NAAT nucleic acid amplification test. PCR is a subtype of NAAT.

I wouldn't trust the PCR or any mail-in turnaround time -- try to find a facility with Rapid Tests. The issue I've found is appointments are only released a few days in advance, so I'd find out when they release and be hitting the Refresh button on my browser to get one like the Ebay sniping days of old. If your CVS allows appointments 6 days out, that's great!

The limited number of providers that are acceptable to the HI government definitely limits people's options. Fortunately for you, CVS is one of them, but they don't all do the Rapid testing. Fingers crossed for you.

Be careful because Hawaii only accepts a certain type of test and it’s the nasal probe which has a delayed result so your “window” is tight. Be very certain you get it done right and within time frame.

Our trip to Hawaii is coming up in a couple weeks and i was curious if anyone has gone recently and tested for covid before. We have been fully vaccinated but it does not look like Hawaii is easing restrictions by our trip.

We are in Chicago and leaving on a Wednesday so have to get the test on Sunday morning. We are flying United and was planning on going through United's provider who is ADL Health and its done by mail. However I just found that they deal with UPS only who does not pick up on Sunday for overnight air so would have to be mail out on Monday. This does not leave much time for delivery delays and i am nervous about getting the results back in time. We decided to go through CVS who has dedicated testing for travel to Hawaii and we can make appointments for Sunday morning at a local drive thru cvs.

I just want to see what others have done with the test, what provider they picked, how smooth it went do both getting the results back before your flight and how it went at the airport. Thanks!
Don't get on the plane without the state of Hawaii website stating that you are cleared from quarantine. Or you WILL wind up in quarantine at your hotel.

If you are staying at a short term rental (under the radar), then you won't have an issue.

Your hotel will not care if you provide negative test results.

My understanding is both PCR and the Rapid ID NOW are both subsets of NAAT.

That said, the Hawaii testing partner site said this of CVS's rapid test:
"Even though CVS is a trusted partner, Hawaii does NOT accept the CVS Health Rapid Test".

However, they said this about Walgreens:
The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test (ID NOW) and RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel are both nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT) and thus both test types are approved by the state of Hawaii.

Thus, double-check the Hawaii guidelines for acceptability. I would still target something with a turnaround in 15-30 minutes rather than 3 days.

I live on Oahu and just came back from a trip to PA. I also flew on United. I went with CVS because it was listed as a Hawaii "trusted partner" It took 48 hrs to get my results. Make sure you read everything carefully... then read it again. It is a confusing process. You need to download the Hawaii safe travels app. When you get your test results from CVS, you download them into the app. The app generates a QR code, (which gets emailed to you) which is what you have to show to the United rep BEFORE you leave on your last leg for Hawaii. The United rep gives you a wristband that they will check for when you get off the plane in Hawaii. As long as you have the wristband, it's business as usual. Important to note - I believe the Hawaii safe travels website says you have to have your results before you leave on your final leg or you cannot bypass quarantine. Hope this helps.

I live on Oahu and just came back from a trip to PA. I also flew on United. I went with CVS because it was listed as a Hawaii "trusted partner" It took 48 hrs to get my results. Make sure you read everything carefully... then read it again. It is a confusing process. You need to download the Hawaii safe travels app. When you get your test results from CVS, you download them into the app. The app generates a QR code, (which gets emailed to you) which is what you have to show to the United rep BEFORE you leave on your last leg for Hawaii. The United rep gives you a wristband that they will check for when you get off the plane in Hawaii. As long as you have the wristband, it's business as usual. Important to note - I believe the Hawaii safe travels website says you have to have your results before you leave on your final leg or you cannot bypass quarantine. Hope this helps.
When I flew from Seattle to Maui on Alaska, they looked up our results in their database and cleared us.

Somehow my wife got mixed up in the state of Hawaii's system with someone flying from LA to Oahu 4 days later.

Definitely check the Hawaii website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom