pitching forward with SeaQuest Pro QD+ BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott Lemmon

HumboldtChaplain
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am admittedly quite rusty with my skills. While I have completed well over 200 dives, I have zero in the last 20 years. I purchased a SeaQuest Pro QD+ BC and have 6 pound curved weights in each of the slide-in weight pockets. I also had 16 pounds on a weight belt and probably need at least another 6 pounds to trim out my buoyancy. Under the water is fine, on the surface I am feeling that I am pressed forward when i would like to remain vertical.
Comments, criticisms, suggestions?

That sounds like a lot of weight. What sort of exposure suit are you wearing?
I'd also ask why you would like to remain vertical? Unlike on dry land, remaining in a horizontal position under the water is generally a lot more comfortable and efficient when moving around. If you're horizontal and start kicking, you move around at your current depth. If you're vertical and start kicking, you're going to ascend!

I am wearing a Bare Trilam HD suit. Maybe I just need to get over wanting to be vertical at the surface? Under the water, indeed horizontal is where I want to be.

lean backwards a bit on the surface. also inflate the drysuit more than the bcd. can also try dropping the tank height a bit.

I am wearing a Bare Trilam HD suit. Maybe I just need to get over wanting to be vertical at the surface? Under the water, indeed horizontal is where I want to be.

Sorry, didn't read your original post completely - missed the bit about being on the surface :)

When I'm diving dry I tend not to inflate my BC that much (I use a back inflate with singles, and bp/w with doubles), and as runsongas says, instead use my drysuit for for surface buoyancy. The air bubble will rise around your torso above your weight belt and integrated weights keeping you vertical.

You might need to close your shoulder dump!

Depending on the day and how long I have to wait for the boat to get my, I also often lie on my back with my face warming in the sun! Just kick my legs up to horizontal, another squirt of the inflator and I'm floating in a nice pillow of air until the boat arrives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom